Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

~~Second coin update, NOW posted ~~~ Ok, I want to purchase one ancient.......give me a short educat

I have been wanting to pick one up for years and years and thanks to the people posting on the light side.......you know who you areimage
My curiosity has now come to full bloom.

Some may know that I am currently selling most of my common date light side coins and trying to create a type of Legacy Collection(if you will)

I want it to include US type coins silver and gold and the highest grade I can afford. It may only end up being a handful of coins but that is fine.

I will be including my Russian, Hungarian, US and British tokens....the tokens are going to be narrowed down to only the few that I think

will be a good investment for the long run.

Now......I want to add one Ancient. I would like it to have a great design, silver and as large as can be. Must be TONED..... nice original skinimage

I have no idea as to how much something like this will cost or even if its possible...........so educate me and posted examples are welcomed.

I'm all eyes and earsimage

Ok, after much discussion here and via PM's.......I have decided to buy 3-4 Ancients

This is the first one. I'm working on two more and searching for one last one will be a
Corinth style Stater with a Helmeted Athena on the obverse and a Pegasus as one of you posted hereimage Thanks for that

1) PARTHIA, Artabanus) II (10-38 A.D) Silver drachm, Ecbatana,

AR drachm, (3.3 gm, 20 mm,) Bare-headed, bearded, diademed bust of king left, wearing torque,/ King (Arsakes I?) seated right on throne, holding bow, Greek legend in 7 lines around: above: BAΣIΛEΩΣ BAΣIΛEΩN, at right: APCAKOY, below: EVERΓETOV / ΔIKAIOY, at left: EΠIΦANOVΣ / ΦIΛEΛΛHNOΣ, AT monogram (for Ecbatana) under bow Sellwood 63.6, Shore 343, Toned EF.

Reverse is loosely translated to:
meaning is awaiting the work of a scholar

Only lordmarcovan can take the credit for this beauty.
He is the one that pointed me to it.

Thanks The Holey of Holeysimage

2) Galerius, 1 March 305 - 5 May 311 A.D.

Description from website as follows:

The Sisak Hoard of more than 2000 silver argentei, most of them mint-state, plus silver vessels, was found in 1953 near Siscia (Croatia).
Still today, nearly all the high grade early argentei of the early tetrarchy on the market came from this hoard.
The deposition of the hoard can be placed in the year 295/296.

Comments