Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Ten years as #1 set

Interesting award that PCGS has added for registry sets that have been #1 for a decade. What sets can you find that have the coveted red ribbon?
Dr. Pete

Comments

• Options
    Very cool. Do you have an example of this? I'd like to see it.
  • Options
    High Desert Collection ?
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Morgan dollar basic set, California.

I think I just missed with my 1904 proof set. Had it ten years, but just sold it. I would have to have it until the end of calendar year 2012 apparently. There should be a few other sets out there.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    I saw a few, they are pretty cool.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do the sets have to be complete to qualify?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>do the sets have to be complete to qualify? >>

I don't think they have to be complete, but it appears they must have earned the blue award 10 years in a row. At least that is the way it appears to me.
  • Options
    That's pretty cool.
    Selling coins one coin at a time. = )
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    I've made in 6 years in a row as #1 set and all time finest (2007-2012 inclusive) but still need to "survive" another 4 more years to achieve the "decade" nod......of couse, calling my set the "finest" may be a bit of a misnomer....... Link
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Colorfulcoins: Why are some of the years "blue" and some "gold". I'm refering to the "award year" things. I.e. 2007 and 2009 are blue the rest are gold.

Do you know why that is?

Also that set is hard to beat!
  • Options

<< <i>I've made in 6 years in a row as #1 set and all time finest (2007-2012 inclusive) but still need to "survive" another 4 more years to achieve the "decade" nod......of couse, calling my set the "finest" may be a bit of a misnomer....... Link >>

Lets not pull any punches here. Your set is the worse set I have ever seen.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've made in 6 years in a row as #1 set and all time finest (2007-2012 inclusive) but still need to "survive" another 4 more years to achieve the "decade" nod......of couse, calling my set the "finest" may be a bit of a misnomer....... Link >>

How do you make them....they say "homemade".
    Becky
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>I think I just missed with my 1904 proof set. Had it ten years, but just sold it. I would have to have it until the end of calendar year 2012 apparently. There should be a few other sets out there. >>

I thought you were considered the owner as of the date the awards were handed out (end of June). My 2 Cent set has been #1 since 2002. I sold it late 2003, a few months after that year's awards were given out. I didn't receive a 10 year award because I'm no longer the owner. Even though it's still the finest and has remained #1 for 10 years.

I just looked up your set. It's been #1 for 9 years. You would have had to have kept it until after next year's awards (end of June 2013) for the 10 year award.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Colorfulcoins: Why are some of the years "blue" and some "gold". I'm refering to the "award year" things. I.e. 2007 and 2009 are blue the rest are gold.
    >>

You get a blue one automatically if you are the #1 set and 90% complete. The gold ones are awarded for the best #1 sets in various categories. They are voted gold by special PCGS people. The black ones are only for very special Hall of Fame sets. Its kind of like:
    blue=1st place in class
    yellow= best of breed
    black=best in show
  • Options

First time in 10 years that I forget to update and now they come out with a special 10 year award!

I feel like the Rodney Dangerfield of the Registry!

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I just checked and apparently my set just made it under the wire and is included in the ten year award, but is now retired. Love it!

I was surprised to see that something like 48 sets made the decade award. Congrats to all.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to all who lasted the 10 year marriageimage