Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Antoninus Pius (1838-161 AD), struck ca. 143 AD

(This thread originally had a "guess the price I paid" poll, I think, but I deleted that.)

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Antoninus Pius (1838-161 AD), struck ca. 143 AD

NGC Choice VF (Strike 4/5, Surface 2/5, "deposits"). Ex-Greatcollections.com, 8/5/2012. Purchased in an ANACS EF45 holder.

Antoninus Pius* is remembered as one of Rome's "Five Good Emperors".* This example is far nicer than the Antoninus Pius from my old 2007-08 collection.* Though it is of a fairly common ruler and type, I thought it had uncommon eye appeal, personally. And I was reasonably happy with the price. I thought NGC would give it a good grade so I cracked it out of the ANACS holder and sent it in. Alas, they didn't like it as much as ANACS apparently did, but hey, it is still a lovely coin. I have no idea what they meant by "deposits". All I see is toning and/or patina. And I've had coins with real "deposits" on them that they didn't note. Go figure. I guess I can see their downgrade to Ch VF, but overall they really spanked this piece, for some reason. Silly me- I thought I had a small chance at a "star" designation, but got the opposite. "Surface" grade of only 2 out of 5? Really? They must not have liked the toning at all. But I do, and several others have commented positively on it, as well. I confess that slabbing ancients is kind of silly, anyway. The next owner will likely crack it out again, who knows.

Original auction page (showing the coin in the ANACS EF45 holder I bought it in)

NGC cert verification page (with pictures of the present slab)

As of the last edit, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning pius, hopefully u keep it. Amazing toning.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive toning, Rob! And you really went all out creating all of those poll categories image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm $110 something voter. (so far)
    Something about the toning that doesn't quite work for me but I do have a WLH I'd swap for it. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the person who voted $20-something (and, for that matter, the two who voted $50-something) have any Roman coins like this for sale, I'm buyin'! image

<< <i>And you really went all out creating all of those poll categories >>

Copy and paste, sir. Copy and paste.

Eh. Deleted the poll. It was kind of lame. Only three people guessed the price within ten dollars, and a fourth within about fifteen or twenty, I suppose. Otherwise it was all over the map. Which is sort of what I was wanting determine by polling in the first place.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Results? image I guessed $160-something
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Well, I voted $50-something because I know how you like a deal!image

I did see nice Roman silvers around $70-something from time to time, don't remember who or where though. Don't leave us hanging, how much??

Oh, and dealers have prices all over the map too, it seems to me. I was looking for a nice Augustus the other day and was amazed at how important
    shopping around has become. It's almost like they are just making up numbers, and then Ebay? ...don't get me started on the prices over there.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I'll give it a PGGS GEM 70 for eye appeal image . well centered too , fair value $ 200 imho
    great picture, Rob , is it from the seller ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Results? image I guessed $160-something >>

$116.72 after buyer's fee and shipping.

<< <i>great picture, Rob , is it from the seller? >>

Yes. I could never photograph something like that properly.

• Options
    The rest of the plastic.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Nice one!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    As you can see from comparing the ANACS slab to the NGC one it ended up in, this one didn't have such a great outcome as far as plastic goes.

I don't like it any less, however.

Win some, lose some, in the submissions game.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting color.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting color. >>

Yeah. That's probably what the graders at NGC were saying.

Interesting. The way you say it when you find something on the bottom of your shoe, or a mysterious, dessicated, former food object under the fridge, next to the hairballs and the screwdriver you lost two years ago.

Oh, well. I like it, anyway.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this coin ANTONINUS PIUS RIC 111e?

Most of his "IMPERATOR" coins have "TR P" in the obverse legend, this one doesn't.

Note, RIC 111e is not on Wildwinds.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>Is this coin ANTONINUS PIUS RIC 111e?

Most of his "IMPERATOR" coins have "TR P" in the obverse legend, this one doesn't.

Note, RIC 111e is not on Wildwinds.

image >>

If it ain't on Wildwinds, then I don't know! image

OK, WB2. Since we're on the subject of Antoninus Pius, go ahead and post yours, for our admiration. You know which one. image

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antoninus Pius RIC 111e isn't on Wildwinds but appears on some dealer websites
    as the "British Victory series".

Antoninus Pius holding globe, "Rome Rules the World"

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I like the color, even if it is "interesting." image It's a nice piece and I think the price was pretty good, especially for the eye appeal. (Which there is a ton of on this piece.)