Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Steatite Stone Scarab - circa 1800-1600 BC

I could use the help of experts on this. I am a US coin and currency collector/dealer but lack knowledge in ancients. I came upon this item in a larger collection I purchased a while back. It come with small paper from the original auction and describes the item as follows - "Steatite Stone Scarab - Dating of the Hyksos period, the period about 1800-1600 BC. Made of sand color stone and well preserved, and has early period engraved hieroglyphic writings for good luck on the underside. Length about 3/4 of an inch. Suitable from mounting into a ring." This item is part of a small ancient collection that I believe the collector purchased in an auction in the 1960's.

Any help and understanding of importance or lack thereof is appreciated.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. I've got little experience in this sort of material, though I browse it over on the VCoins mall periodically.

If real, that looks like a nice one. I see no reason why it should not be what the description says it is.

Here is a VCoins search with "scarab" keyword, for comparison's sake.

*** PS- you might also consider posting it here.

There are a lot of experts on that site. (If you don't feel like registering to post your scarab, I can do so on your behalf and you can watch the thread.) Be sure to read the "sticky" post at the top of that forum. I only skimmed it, but it looks like there is a lot of good information there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lordmarcoven, If you are already a member of that forum, you're welcome to post my images and text. If not, I can sign up and post. Thanks for the help... very informative.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
    Thanks! I will follow it.
    I don't know how lively that particular board is, but since FORVM itself is a large and active site (perhaps almost rivaling this one for member activity), there is hope. Besides, the tenor there is "all ancients, all the time", so I'd say your chances of getting solid expert opinions are probably a lot better there than they would be here (though of course we do have some here as well- some frequent both sites).

Edit- eew. Mine was the first post there since January 7th, it looks like. So it's not a completely sealed tomb, but it's definitely Sleepytown there. Ah, well. You never know. Somebody might still be watching. And if you're really hot to pin this sucker down in a hurry, you can browse around there and on VCoins, I guess.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Definitely sleepy town over there... no response at all!!
    Well, it took a while, but the thread over there did get a response. Have another look.

It seems the information you had on it was correct.

• MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Is this ancient piece available and if so at what price? Thanks.