Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post a coin with picture(s) of other coin(s) on it

I don't have any, but in light of LochNESS' recent post, I thought it might be a fun discussion topic.

Edit: here, I'll "borrow" that picture to start us off.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I'm so honored! Seriously, thanks image To return the favor, here's one of an ancient image

I submitted it raw ... graded PR69DCAM!!!!!!!

this is the PCGS scan ... Greece 1993 500 Drachmes celebrating "the 2500th anniversary of Democracy"
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent! I hadn't seen that design before (the modern host coin, I mean). Too bad they didn't feature the "owl" side of the ancient coin, too. I'll bet that's been on a few modern designs, though. Of course there is the modern Greek design that incorporates the same owl, but not a picture of an owl tetradrachm.

There are a few Israeli coins with pictures of ancient shekels on them, as I recall.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yep, right! I've got some of those too but they aren't photographed *yet* and I'm traveling the next three days. Perhaps Monday night image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    5 euro coin - silver 925/1000 - 15,5 Gram - 33 mm
    first dutch settlement in America established in 1609 by Henry Hudson , captain of the VOC ship de Halve Maen
    small coin pictured is present ruler of the Netherlands , Queen Beatrix.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Awesome map detail and history lesson. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Yeah, a Dutch New York commem. Who'd have thought of that?

(Well, obviously, the Dutch. Duh, LordM?) image

So many of us Americans forget the Dutch period of Old New York- *ahem* 'scuze me- I meant to say New Amsterdam. image

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    There is a similar thread in an Italian forum I follow.

LINK
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    This is a medal (sorry for the bad picture)

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    Thanks for the links, nibanny and Zohar! Good thing I don't need to speak Italian to see the photos. Lord M., there's an image of that Greek owl tetra you were talking about ... three posts down the page image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Lord M, what a fun thread. Thanks and keep up the interesting threads.
    Paul
  • Options
    Sorry for the lousy image

1991 IOM Crown...ANA Centennial Coin

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    I love the owl flyin' off the back of that Euro! imageimage

Andres, is that your owl tetradrachm in the first photo?

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Coins within a coin, for real!

From http://www.coinjewels.us . You may find a lot to like there.

• Options

@tychojoe said:
    Coins within a coin, for real!

From http://www.coinjewels.us . You may find a lot to like there.

That's TOTALLY cool. I somehow was unaware of this type, though I did have one of the Cook Islands "Crown Jewels" pieces with the little jewels inside it.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

This large 2017 coin from Canada is really neat and a large one kilo silver piece... pretty expensive though at $2500 Canadian. Maximum mintage of 500 pieces...

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Necro thread! But a cool thread to necro, I don't recall seeing it first time around.

And given the number of Latin American Coinage fans around here, I'm surprised nobody posted either of these:

Dominican Republic 10 pesos 1975, depicting the first coin ever struck for use in the Americas, a copper 4 maravedis struck in Seville for use on Hispaniola.

El Salvador 25 colones 1977, depicting a silver 8 reales of the Central American Republic, dated 1824.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2017 9:59AM

Here are two Mexican coins I ran across on the bay.

Quick question, does "$" on Mexican coins mean "Peso" or "Dollar"?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not coins per se ... :) ...

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 4:05PM

I was gonna post that Turks & Caicos piece above, since I used to own it, but the new owner's photos of it are MUCH nicer. ;)

@Zoins said:

Both, but the "$" symbol means "peso", when used in a more modern Mexican context.

We stole it from them.

Popular legend (or perhaps myth) has it that the symbol originally comes from the ribbon wrapped around a pillar on the old Pillar dollars.

Here, I'll post a picture to demonstrate, though it briefly diverts us from the "coins-within-a-coin" theme.

See how the ribbons wrap around the pillars in the coin below? There's your "$".

Or so I've heard. I like the story, whether it's true or not. Works for me.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew that lordm.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@lordmarcovan said:
    I was gonna post that Turks & Caicos piece above, since I used to own it, but the new owner's photos of it are MUCH nicer. ;)

@Zoins said:

Both, but the "$" symbol means "peso", when used in a more modern Mexican context.

We stole it from them.

Popular legend (or perhaps myth) has it that the symbol originally comes from the ribbon wrapped around a pillar on the old Pillar dollars.

Here, I'll post a picture to demonstrate, though it briefly diverts us from the "coins-within-a-coin" theme.

See how the ribbons wrap around the pillars in the coin below? There's your "$".

Or so I've heard. I like the story, whether it's true or not. Works for me.

When did the US and Mexico start to use "$" to mean dollar and peso respectively?

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 4:10PM

When did the US and Mexico start to use "$" to mean dollar and peso respectively?

That is a good question, and one I'm afraid I do not know the answer to.

Edit- well- of course the US has used the "$" symbol since the beginning, when we stole it from the Spanish.

It is of course because of those Spanish Milled dollars like the one above that our American Founding Fathers chose to make our currency a decimal one, and call it a "dollar".

• Options

Here is some info from Wikipedia. The Pillars of Hercules in the Spanish Coat of Arms is listed as one alternative theory.

• Options

I dunno why I never thought to look that up on Wikipedia, Wikijunkie that I am.

I think I heard the "ribbon around the pillar" theory years ago, before I'd ever heard of the Internet.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 11:00PM

@illini420 said:
    This large 2017 coin from Canada is really neat and a large one kilo silver piece... pretty expensive though at $2500 Canadian. Maximum mintage of 500 pieces...

Back to the original topic, this is SUPER cool.

I like the owl flying off the Greek Euro coin that @Andres posted, too.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2017 9:16AM

Peru 20 Soles 1965 - Commemorative 400th Anniversary of the Lima Mint (Casa de Moneda)
    Silver, 26mm, 8.00gm

Obverse: CUATRICENTENARIO DE LA FUNDACION DE LA CASA DE MONEDA / LIMA 1565 1965
    Reverse: BANCO CENTRAL DE RESERVA DEL PERU / VEINTE SOLES DE ORO

This coin obverse shows the obverse of a Spanish "Plus Ultra" cob coin and was part of a commemorative series of coins of brass 5, 10, 25, 50 centavos, 1 sol, and silver 20 soles.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think anyone mentioned this one yet. Argentina peso 1994

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this close enough?

1886 U.S. Five Dollar Silver Certificate