Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWP: Hungary KGST silver, how would you grade?

Saw this one (slabbed PR65) sell on eBay for $114 (here's the link)

I think mine (below) is a better grade. Paid $31. How would you grade?

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Ttt; no thoughts? Beuller?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Just too hard to say from the image. But they are an interesting reverse design.
    Seems to be better than the one in the link. If it grades the same or better I'll be happy.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.

KGST is Kölcsönös Gazdasági Segítség Tanácsa (Council of Mutual Economic Assistance)

Also known as COMECON, an association of Communist countries.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that it could have received a CAM designation

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Yeah the photo is a poor one, the mirror cam is deep and clean fields. I took the pics when it was inside a flip. Bad habit I need to break when posting GTG pics.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Especially WillieBoyd2 for the transliteration image I knew what it meant but I didn't have the Uralic-in-english

edited because I originally said "cyrillic" but then remembered it's Uralic of the Ugric branch of languages image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. It has quite an assortment of coin designs on the reverse. All Communist or Iron Curtain countries. Which makes sense, in light of WB2's translation.

Clockwise from 12:00, we've got (help me out, here):
      Hungary 1-forintUSSR 1-roubleRomania 1-leuEast Germany 1-mark(Uh- I dunno- can't make it out)Poland 1-zlotyCuba 1-centavo(Dang- that one with the person on it bugs me 'cause it's familiar but I was thinking Austria, which can't be right)Bulgaria 1-lev(?)
    PS- now your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to collect one of each of those coins portrayed there. image

Wouldn't be too hard.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Hey, that's a great idea! Mission accepted!

BTW it's Mongolia, then Czechslovakia that you missed.. impressive though!

Now let's see... I have a Hungary 1 Forint from 1997, but I guess they have to be the same year as the ones pictured... I've got Russian kopeks but no Roubles. And I've got Romanian Bani but no Leu! And none from East Germany only West, Westphalia and Weimar Rep! I'll have to get on that ASAP!!! I have Poland 10-Zloty but not 1 Zloty... this will be fun image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Czechoslovakia 1-koruna. That came to mind, too, but I had forgotten Czechoslovakia had been Communist at one point, so I mentally disqualified it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    I know what you mean, some of my family is from that region even though they immigrated pre-Czech (pre WWI) I have a hard time thinking of that area as communist image

This is a fun challenge because I've always gravitated towards the larger crown-sized coins (so I don't have any of these!) For example I've got 50- and 100-Korun coins but zero 1-Koruna. I guess now I know what I'll be doing on eBay next week (looking for really cheap, small, obsolete coins)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE