Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

You guys who also collect U.S. coins...I have a question for you

Hey guys,

For those of you who collect both U.S. and World Coins of the same vintage, can I ask you a question?

How have the prices increased for very nice, well-selected World Coins increased compared to similar U.S. coins in the last 10 to 15 years?

Bonus points awarded for comprehensive answers.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Overall I'd say world coins have climbed faster than U.S. overall, particularly China and Japan turn-of-the-century (in 2011, mostly chinese Fat Man and Junk boats, and Japanese dragon w/pearl Yen).

I have seen the prices of bullion from China and Australia climb faster than American Eagles in the past couple years. Also, mint sets from Jamaica, Aus. and Britain seem to sell easily (at or above Krause) whereas U.S. mint sets seem dime-a-dozen and hard to command bids.

Also, the last US coin show I attended (March 2012, Georgia Numismatic Association hosted) had very few mint sets on dealers tables compared to the mid 1990s. Most dealers were pushing Morgans, Peace dollars, commemoratives and bullion. There was a lot of bullion. In '96-'97 it seemed everybody had coppers currency and mint sets to unload. Seems collectors and dealers alike have saturated themselves with bullion.

I could be totally wrong, just my limited observations. I will say that other forum members have posted in agreement (in other threads) that the Chinese Pandas have climbed fairly high in value. Chinese production estimates for 2012 are also off the charts. I had the numbers memorized in February... it was high like over a billion ounces of silver ... I believe this is a big anniversary year for them (or perhaps 2013 is the big year?). I'd have to research my notes in order to be more exact on that topic.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE