Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Should I submit this Franco Harris Card?

I pulled this 1984 Topps Franco Harris card from one of the BBCE group rips.

It's a very nice card, looked like a slam dunk 10 to me.

I examined the card closely, and I noticed some sort of a dimple in the upper right corner, near the pinkish-red triangle.

The dimple does not effect the edge though. The edge is not impacted at all.

The only reason I ask is that I submitted a 71 Topps football card, and it had a similar dimple, except the dimple impacted the edge, and the card graded a 6.

My question is: Do you think this dimple would cause the card to get a 9 or would it still get a 10?
Workin on:71 Topps Baseball, PSA 7 or better, Dan Marino Master Set
Sportlots inventory:
splot
My eBay store:
ebay

Comments

• cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I would. Looks like at least a 9
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I think that dimple takes it down to 5 or 6 almost like a surface wrinkle
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I had a 1983 Singletary RC that I thought was a sure-fire 10... had a very similar dimple on the card (on the white, but didn't impact on the edge)... it got a 7.5
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The top two corners would keep it from a 10 regardless of the dimple. At absolute best the card is a 9 which sells for about $6.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are putting together an '84 set for your collection, the cost of grading that card will exceed its value graded. No chance at a 10, imo, with touched top left corner and less than ideal registration.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Don't listen to the haters.. Submit this bad boy and crack resub until you get a 10. image
  • Looks like an 8.

Like others have said - not worth to grade unless 10 and we know for sure its not a 10.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    PSA 8.5 would be the best shot.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Why?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Unless you are putting together an '84 set for your collection, the cost of grading that card will exceed its value graded. No chance at a 10, imo, with touched top left corner and less than ideal registration. >>

+1
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    "Slam dunk 10"! Ha. I used to say that too. No such thing. Way too subjective. I sent in a Walter Payton from that same set that I looked over and over and over and really thought I had a shot at a 10. At least a 9.....and I get an 8. I am totally baffled by it

For reasons you will never understand, you will either get an 8 or 9
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    My scanner sucks, but here it is. Why an 8???

">Text
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • If I had subbed it, it would go into my personal collection.

A 9 would be worth about $6, a 10 would be $40.

The top corners are razor sharp. There is a little bit of excess paper fibers that make them look a little rounded.

<< <i>I had a 1983 Singletary RC that I thought was a sure-fire 10... had a very similar dimple on the card (on the white, but didn't impact on the edge)... it got a 7.5 >>

After reading this, I have decided to keep it raw. Too much risk on it coming back a 9 or worse. Dimples will be one more thing to check closely when deciding to sub a card.

Thank you to all for your contributions!
    Workin on:71 Topps Baseball, PSA 7 or better, Dan Marino Master Set
    Sportlots inventory:
    splot
    My eBay store:
    ebay
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Unless you are putting together an '84 set for your collection, the cost of grading that card will exceed its value graded. No chance at a 10, imo, with touched top left corner and less than ideal registration. >>

+1 >>

+2

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06