Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many coins do you still own...

ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
that you would consider tuition coins? I was just going through my collection of what I would call my box of 20, and surprisingly enough I still own 5 or 6 that I would consider mistakes in purchasing or due to bad photo's representing the coin I purchased. I suppose at some point I will replace them but for now I am keeping them. IMHO most of them have nice eye appeal and are in problem free holders from the big 2, but I think may have small problems anyway. Man it sure is tough to be a great coin collector. Anyway I was just curious about other collectors thoughts about this.
Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i plan on keeping certain ones just for the in my face reminder
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of mine comes to mine; a white MS61 Trade dollar that should have been bagged for gentle cleaning, but got into my preferred company's holder anyway. It's the oldest purchased coin I still own (1995) and I wouldn't buy it today.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    A small handful, motly because I can't dump them off on anyone else! image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I've got a pair of counterfeit "Fat Man" Chinese dollars, for which I thankfully only paid $4. I consider them tuition / learning experience coins and plan to keep them indefinitely for the "in-your-face" reminder.

I had the benefit of my dad as a numismatic mentor, who was always home to guide me and answer questions, and was very knowledgable about the hobby. Also, Bill Fivaz has long been an active member of my local club. So I avoided a lot of the mistakes that young collectors make simply by being around all that knowledge and experience.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    PS: this Ajman is one of my fave designs from the region

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS: this Ajman is one of my fave designs from the region

image >>

Wow! That's great! I'd definitely hold one to that one. image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    I have two left. One is trouble and I like it and keeping it reminds me to not act hasty. The other I have not yet finished researching.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has some.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file