Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grandfather's Ancient Coins

Hello,
Recently came accross some ancient coins my Grandfather collected. Most are marked or identified in some fashion, but I figured I'd post them on here to share and for any further information I can gather on them. My wife is sick and we have to sell them off, so I am looking for value information too. Is ebay the best way to go? Any tips? thank you for your help everyone. I'll start with this one:

Markings on packaging:
Tiberius
Roman Egypt
Tetradrachm
Laurel Head RT
Radiate Head of Augustus L
29 Aug 28 - 28 Aug 29 AD
BMC 40, Milnesh, Curtis (-)
Dattari 80, Geiss 49, KAA (-)
13.43 g'VF'PYI
472/381

Comments

• Options
    Here are a couple more:
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    If you do list them on eBay, please let us know as well, you might get some bids from this board.

Thanks for posting!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    If you do list them on eBay, please let us know as well

+1, I very much like and have an interest in that first piece you listed.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Tough call. Stuff only sells on eBay if people are looking for it. Do you have an eBay profile with a lot of [positive] feedback? Like over 500 or 1000 transactions? If you have a smaller profile, you are less likely to get many bids. Paradox but true.

Also, I've always considered ancients to be a fairly specified subset of numismatics. Many auctions on eBay for "old" / "ancient" / "rare" coins are usually none of the above, and yours could get lost in the shuffle. Many listings for "Lot of ten rare ancients" or similar titles if you get my drift and I haven't seen any of those command high bids.

You might be better off taking them to a dealer who specializes in ancients. I know a very reputable one in the Southeast, in what area of the country are you located?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    You could send us a preliminary list of what you have, and if it sounds like a collection we'd have interest in, you can ship to us for our offer.

Feel free to contact us through our website in the link below.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    LochNESS- I am in Gainesville, GA (just north of Atlanta). If you know of a good dealer around here let me know. My Ebay account has about 40 feedback, all positive. Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LochNESS- I am in Gainesville, GA (just north of Atlanta). If you know of a good dealer around here let me know. My Ebay account has about 40 feedback, all positive. Thank you for your help. >>

The fellow poster above your post, civitas, is great to deal with. Send him a private message here.