Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sent this in for crossover. Do you think it will cross? Results in.

Currently in a ANACS 63rb holder.

Edited for wrong picture.

Results in......DNC. Ahh shoot!!

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    looks very worthy...may even upgrade a point
    goodluck...update us too...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>looks very worthy...may even upgrade a point
    goodluck...update us too...image >>

Sorry had the wrong pics up. Correct ones are now showing.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I don't see why it wouldn't. Looks good.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Just out of curiosity what type of anacs holder is he in? >>

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say yes.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will crossover
    to the same grade !!!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i wonder what it would grade if sent in raw.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i wonder what it would grade if sent in raw. >>

Possibly a PC 4rb.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Just got word..........DNC. Boo hoo.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARRRGGGHHH!!! Why the heck not?? OH thats right, you give our host money and they don't tell you what not. I forgot.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got word..........DNC. Boo hoo. >>

Dang, that is surprising IMHO. Is it a matter of PCGS thinking it's less than a 63 or something else ..... ? Color and toning look fine from your pics.....
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow
    color must be hiding some hits and/or chatter.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Dang, that is surprising IMHO. Is it a matter of PCGS thinking it's less than a 63 or something else ..... ? Color and toning look fine from your pics..... >>

Its mho that heavy woodgrain toining like this is not well received at PCGS, I have a 1916-s in an old ANA ANACS holder that looks like this coin and has been rejected once also. My coin does not have excessive chatter or marks and is struck well for the date/mm/grade but failed to cross, my only guess is that PCGS sees the heavy woodgrain as negitve from the eye-appeal standpoint.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS sees the heavy woodgrain as negitve from the eye-appeal standpoint.

Bingo!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Toning and eye appeal should have "NOTHING" to do with grade!!!!!

Grade should be detail left and number of marks......"NOTHING ELSE!!!!
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    natural toning is a negative, cleaning is a negative... a 103 year old copper isnt going to look like a 3 day old copper.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you ask for a cross-at-grade? Or a cross with no minimum?
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>

Lance. >>

Cross at grade. I suspect it was the wood grain as well. It's a nice coin IMHO but not gonna fit in my registry set now.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Lance. >>

in this crowd too...did you tie their hands here?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I felt surely it would cross at 63. I didn't want to risk the chance with it downgrading to a 62. 63 is the minimum grade I have set for my collection and registry set. Oh well, live and learn. I will just have to move it and buy one already in a PCGS slab. FWIW, I bought it because I thought the wood grain gave it nice eye appeal.
  • Options
    Bummer.
    Coin has a nice look.

comment on the grading.... technical grade is one thing, but eye appeal also is considered.
    I have seen very technical high grade coins, that are ugly grade low with PCGS... and better with others.
    Not sure where I stand on this one, eye appeal is in the eye of the beholder, but to keep ugly coins from invading the collectors universe, some discounts need to be taken for it.

This is an old argument, and won't be solved by a forum discussion.

Remember that PCGS holds eye appeal in the grading, so if the coin is toned, or wood grained or spotted, expect them to dink it a bit.
    For registry, you have to think like PCGS does, and tech grade, and eye appeal.

For other TPG, they have different standards, so you just have to learn which way they lean.

I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would bet that if you cracked it out and sent it in raw you would get your 63.image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cross-at-any-grade has worked best for me. PCGS only has to feel the coin is genuine and has no fatal problem.

Then it can be cracked and all sides of the coin can be viewed. Surfaces can be examined better.

There's a reason for the low cross-at-grade percentage. PCGS has to protect itself from surprises arising after cracking.

Me, I like woody Lincolns and don't feel it's a negative. Maybe PCGS feels differently.
    Lance.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have guessed it would cross.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>A cross-at-any-grade has worked best for me. >>

I guess that's the way to go. I sent in 16 cons in for crossover in 2 submissions, 8 on one, 8 on the other.

On the first submission I specified cross at any. All 8 crossed with 3 upgrading.

On the second submission I had all the coins at cross at minimum. 3 did not cross.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file