Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2012 San Francisco Proof ASEs

pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
I got my set in today and it looks terrific. A little expensive at $150, but that hasn't stopped me in the past. I started this thread to see how others have fared with their acquisitions.
Paul

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my order is in limbo!
    not sure the mint really knows when it will be shipped???
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got my set in today and it looks terrific. A little expensive at $150, but that hasn't stopped me in the past. I started this thread to see how others have fared with their acquisitions. >>

That was quick delivery for a non-expedited single set.....
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you show some photos?

• Options
    johnny50johnny50 Posts: 101 ✭✭
    How many of these were struck? Does PCGS give a pedigree to them, and whats the time limit for first strike?
  • Options
    any pics?
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a box of 24 that I received. There is purple tape around the box. I wonder if I can get some Early EARLY designation?

I'm really sorry for the text in the pictures. I would bet a set that if I didn't, these pictures would be in eBay auctions within a few days from people that don't have them.

Overall, I'd say the quality isn't that great. The regular proof has a slight hint of "haze" to it from the minting process. You can see a bit in the photos. The strikes are good, no dings, frost breaks, or other issues with the coin. The capsules were pretty lose, you will have to push the capsules out, otherwise risk taking off the top of the capsule.

• Options
    cool thx!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    worthy set from the mint.

glad hey didn't change to their new color: black for the box.

nice set of pictures jesse, thanks.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

got mine today also.one set non expedited.It looks like a winner to me.I also ordered some around july 2nd.Dont know when Ill see them.The mint page shows them as being delivered but my cc wasnt hit for them so I know its not true.
  • Options

<< <i>nice set of pictures jesse, thanks. >>

Thanks. I had to take them holding the camera. I was on vacation last week and can not find my tripod :/

These boxes w/ coins weigh 1 lb 4 oz each. The felt insert is actually sewn, it has a little thickness to it. I wonder if this is their answer to keep coins from coming out of the capsule.

These WILL NOT fit in a USPS flat rate box ;(
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you shipping the OGP to PCGS? Why?
  • Options

<< <i>Are you shipping the OGP to PCGS? Why? >>

No, just though some people would like to know. It is going to cost more to ship these individually (assuming you are selling some) via USPS priority mail because they do not fit in a flat rate box and are over 1 lb.
  • Options
    Nice photo representation of the set. A question. The 2011 5 coin set held the PCGS slabs as if the mint case was designed to do so. If you have a slab handy...how does it fit? Will the set, slabbed, fit in the mint case? Just wondering if lightning will strike twice.

• Options
    johnny50johnny50 Posts: 101 ✭✭
    How many of these were struck? Does PCGS give a pedigree to them, and whats the time limit for first strike?

The quality of mine was lousy; the regular proof's capsule was loose and the coin fell out, and it also has some brown lines on Liberty's leg. On the reverse proof theres a few frost breaks, and even "pimples" here and there on it, as well as some very tiny dings here and there. Too bad they're sold out, since I wont get another if I return them.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How many of these were struck? Does PCGS give a pedigree to them, and whats the time limit for first strike?

The quality of mine was lousy; the regular proof's capsule was loose and the coin fell out, and it also has some brown lines on Liberty's leg. On the reverse proof theres a few frost breaks, and even "pimples" here and there on it, as well as some very tiny dings here and there. Too bad they're sold out, since I wont get another if I return them. >>

Order four, return three ...
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

<< <i>Nice photo representation of the set. A question. The 2011 5 coin set held the PCGS slabs as if the mint case was designed to do so. If you have a slab handy...how does it fit? Will the set, slabbed, fit in the mint case? Just wondering if lightning will strike twice. >>

Yes, you CAN fit two PCGS slabs inside the case. If you take out the little wood coin holder the coins are pressed into, it works a lot better. If you were to ship the box with PCGS coins inside, it's a very tight fit. However, I was able to get two PCGS slabbed coins in the box, with all the stuff that came with it from the mint, and get all the boxes/sleeves back together. I personally wouldn't ship the coins like that but it does all fit.

If you were to take the little wood coin holder out, the coins fit in perfectly. You have to put one side in first, then press the other side. The fit is so good that I doubt they would just fall out if knocked over.
  • Options
    This is good jessewvu. I was presently surprised when the slabs fit so perfectly in the 5 coin case. The mint did something right. For that, I thank the designers be they mint employees or contracted case designers. Thinking ahead and considering how they might be displayed into their design. image

• Options
    The caps to the capsules would come off of the 5 coin set even when the coin and capsules were seated in their holes

as to designers foresight, I wonder how NGC and ANACS slabs would fit in there.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>The caps to the capsules would come off of the 5 coin set even when the coin and capsules were seated in their holes
    as to designers foresight, I wonder how NGC and ANACS slabs would fit in there. >>

The capsule caps didn't come off in mine as far as I know because they went sealed for slabbing. The ANCS slabs are more square aren't they? Are the NGC ones are the same size as PCGS? I don't have any of either so I don't know. It would be interesting to see a photo comparing the holders. Maybe Google will come through....looking...looking
    I found the plastic boxes that each hold 20 slabs. The blue ones for PCGS and gray ones for NGC.
    NGC Gray Plastic Slab Box: 10¼" L x 2 7/8" W x 3½" H
    PCGS Blue Plastic Slab Box: 9 1/8" L x 2 7/8" W x 3½" H
    The NGC ones are a little thicker by the box measurements. Both would fit side by side. Don't know if the lid would close with NGC inside.
    Still looking for ANACS.
    Another ad says their boxes, same dimensions as the PCGS blue one, is for both PCGS & NGC holders and large ANACS.

• Options
    Good news that the slabs fit--again. Also, good news about the poor quality. I really hate it when 50% slab at 70.
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics...mine are "on the truck for delivery" image
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    My first order arrived this morning - Haven't opened the box yet... contemplating it... my 2nd order may not arrive in time for 1st strike designation, but since I have some time, I'm going to sit on this a while... glad they arrived, though, no thoughts of flipping...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    Hello Eric Jordan, do you have any USM inside information concerning the total number of sets that sold? Maybe too soon for a good count if there are alot of returns, cancellations. Eric, is there any logic to the USM's shipping order for these sets? What is with all late ordered sets having a stated 7/27/12 expected shipping date instead of 09/12 and 10/12? Thanks.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    so my set came today but missed it to sign.
    called ups to have them hold so i could pickup tonight, and I get this reply....

as per sender we can not hold for pick up (which i would have to go to the office and show ID to get) or change shipment but, you can sign the slip and driver will leave by door.

now which one is safer?????????

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Arrived from work to 7 single boxes on the doorstep. Awaiting a few more.

Still awaiting the one (20 set) order which was ordered 4 hours earlier. Upgrade to "expedited" is on the slow boat from China.
    WTH

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you use the online submission for first strike.....etc....?

Can someone give me a link pleaseimage

Also, is it submitted under regular or modern?

Lastly, can you give me the coin numbers?

Thanks.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...only 2 sets.
    Should I submit and try to sell? Or, should I keep unopened as an unopened box play?
    My "keep" set is still enroute.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I own very few ASEs not graded 70. The milk spot "issue" has me leery, but with the grade guarantee I'm protected with a 70.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my two and the RPs look 69. There are those micro pinpoint luster breaks from the very slightest of die deterioration that I even see on some 70s...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    My RP's look great.....a couple of the PF's have die pinholes and a few small marks that will keep them from making a trip to be graded.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Just an observation on quality comments:

I've noticed that in almost every case when a new item hits the street the posts are overwhelmingly negative towards the quality. This has been a pattern and it flys in the face of how the coins usually grade. Not predicting these will have a high 70 grade rate, just pointing it out. The first batch of ours arrive today.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    I received 3 sets yesterday... two of them are going back, due to blemishes one can see with the naked eye...
    UBERCOINER

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just an observation on quality comments:

I've noticed that in almost every case when a new item hits the street the posts are overwhelmingly negative towards the quality. This has been a pattern and it flys in the face of how the coins usually grade. Not predicting these will have a high 70 grade rate, just pointing it out. The first batch of ours arrive today.

John >>

I thought "ownership adds 1 point"? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just an observation on quality comments:

John >>

I thought "ownership adds 1 point"? image >>

Only after the return period is closed image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    Just checked with the mint site and saw that my two sets have been shipped this morning. With expeditated shipping they should be here by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

As I have never sent any coins into any TPG I was wondering if this would be a good time to start. If I do send these in will I have to submit them in unopened boxes? Is a first strike label worth the extra money?
    Successful BST with Nolawyer, Whitetornado, Messydesk, whit, lasvegasteddy,cohodk,allcoinsrule, watersport, blackhawk, tonedase, PRoemisch
  • Options
    Is there a good possibility of getting replacements for returns?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a good possibility of getting replacements for returns? >>

I would say no. I've heard that later orders have been pushed out to late Sept ship date already.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭
    I ordered some on the last day of sale and my order summary currently has a ship date of 10/31/12. Yesteday it said 7/27/12.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My RP's so far have not been 70-worthy. They have lots of frost breaks and frost "scratches". The proofs seem better quality.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    johnperk747johnperk747 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    I just got my 2 sets today . . . leaving them in the box sealed.

I only need/want 69's FS PCGS Flag holders . . hope to trade/buy from a board member that wants a "2nd chance at 70"s image

Blessings

• Options

<< <i>

I would say no. I've heard that later orders have been pushed out to late Sept ship date already. >>

It pays to go to the source... based on the 2 sets I planned to send back today, I called the Mint, and upon asking, the rep excused herself a few minutes to check, then returned to tell me that yes, they do make arrangements for returns, and have produced enough sets to anticipate this (based on prior experience, I suspect).

Mine went in the mail today, back to the Mint for replacement... will keep y'all posted...

UBERCOINER

• Options
    because of the coin and currency set, mine will get graded for the labels.

a quick glance at my one set shows at least 1 frost break on the proof, but the RP looks good, which means of course I'll get 69s even if everyone else's look the same imageimage

So far, so good I guess.

Hmmmmm..... are people sending them back in attempts for 70s or are they truly not good quality proofs?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a question - are all opened boxes still eligible as First Strikes?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    you have to get them into grading with a postmark before the first strike cutoff date

AND

you have to hope the coin and currency set is not received by PCGS before this set's first strike cutoff AND before you have sent your opened set.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would say no. I've heard that later orders have been pushed out to late Sept ship date already. >>

It pays to go to the source... based on the 2 sets I planned to send back today, I called the Mint, and upon asking, the rep excused herself a few minutes to check, then returned to tell me that yes, they do make arrangements for returns, and have produced enough sets to anticipate this (based on prior experience, I suspect).

Mine went in the mail today, back to the Mint for replacement... will keep y'all posted... >>

You're putting a lot of faith in a CS rep (who may have put you on hold to "check" with her equally clueless colleague)...the Mint has been known to provide different answers depending on the rep you speak to. Hope it works out for you.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    My sets ordered on second day shipped scheduled to be delivered on Monday

I missed UPS today, hope to catch them tomorrow.

Joe
  • Options
    Keep this in mind..... minute frost breaks and fine die lines (that you may interpret as scratches on the coin but they are not) DO NOT keep coins from obtaining a 70 at either service unless they are distracting. There is a level of forgiveness for things that naturally occur during the minting process. Post minting defects are of course another story completely. I make this statement based on lots of experience.

John

edited for two finger typing spelling erors. image

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Keep this in mind..... minute frost breaks and fine die lines (that you may interpret as scrathes on the coin but they are not) DO NOT keep coins from obtaining a 70 at either service unless they are distracting. There is a level of forgiveness for things that naturally occur during the minting process. Post minting defects are of course another story completely. I make this staement based on lots of experience.

John >>

Interesting tidbit. Thanks, John.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    I agree with John.

The Proofs I send in have absolutely no frost breaks, and I get 69's. When I buy a 70, they always have frost breaks and look worse then the ones I sent in.

• Options
    The #1 reasons for a proof silver eagle to NOT get a 70 is hairlines in fields or spots. The #1 reasons for a reverse proof to not get a 70 is post minting marks or spots. All the chatter about frost breaks, microscopic pin priks, and die lines is completely ignored by me. The decades old definition of "perfection" in a 70 is simply put, wrong especially if you don't take things that occur as part of the minting process into account. Not to say that ALL minting process occurrences are "OK" for a 70, they are not. Noteworthy struck thru's and lint marks will not get a 70 for example. If you stop thinking "absolute" perfection you'll have a better understanding of what constitutes a 70. I've been saying this for years now but am largely ignored by those that hang on to the old school of thought taking the whole "perfection" thing literally. For this reason, though I've probably sold more graded 70's than anyone, I have never used the word perfect in a description as I believe Sheldon had no clue what a 70 would be so "perfect" was the logical, easy way out.

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file