Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

So how does NGC encapsulate teeny-tiny coins?

Say maybe ten millimeter size or so?

* Dear CU Forum gods- I am only discussing your competitor's product here because the coins I have in mind are ancients, which you do not slab (...yet).

It seems the prongs would swallow up such a tiny coin. If memory serves, I think somebody posted images of one where NGC had issued a photocertificate or something, rather than a slab? Like they would do with an oversized coin?

I guess I really need to go over to the NGC Ancients website and answer my own question, but I was just wondering if anyone here had specific examples or pictures. I'm not so much interested in their technical grading of ancients but do like encapsulation (despite that bucking tradition).

But if a coin isn't in a standard sized slab like the others in my collection, it doesn't seem worth the expense of slabbing it. In other words, if it wouldn't go into a slab style display box or album, I might not bother. I like consistency, so maybe I should just keep my ancients raw (except for my Twelve Caesars set, which has its own slab display box.) Still, I'd like to investigate the possibilities and pitfalls should I decide to plasticize my other stuff.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how does NGC encapsulate teeny-tiny coins? >>

Very very carefully... image
  • Options
    I have a couple of very small pieces that are encapsulated using the prong technique -- and it looks ridiculous:

Prongs

But I've seen recently where NGC has done something with small coins similar to ANACS:

No Prongs

I generally prefer PCGS, which encapsulated a number of my 1/4 reals, and looks nicer all-around.

**NOTE: None of those auctions are mine. Links provided only for reference.

***EDIT: I don't actually know which came first. I've only started noticing the clear plastic inserts, but those may generally be older. I just know the cert number on the link I provided is higher than the cert number of the one with prongs.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tewcd- those quarter-reales are positively gigantic compared to some of the ancient Greek silver I'd be thinking of slabbing. image

I think they're too small. NGC Ancients website says they issue a photocertificate in cases where size or fragility prevent encapsulation, but they're mum on the topic of what exactly that minimum size would be. The prongs would swallow the coin, anyway. Guess I should forget about this momentary whim. Or ask on their forums if I wanted more specific info.

Thanks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh, well, then your 10 mm guesstimate may be too generous. Most 1/4 reals (Federal, not State) are 9.9 - 12 mm; I know I have one that is on a smaller planchet and is probably 10.5 mm.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best thing would be to call customer service at NGC. Given the dimensions of the coin they should be able to tell you if they are able to slab it.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Here's one of mine ... a Regensburg 1/32 Ducat. Not sure of the size, but it's pretty tiny.

NEN has an example of the same coin for sale, but theirs is not in a slab. Their description states "Prooflike tiny gem, too small for an NGC holder but comes with an NGC insert."
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have more than a few ancients from Ionia that are 5-6mm in size. At least during my lifetime they do not need to worry about being encrapsulated.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, try slabbing a Tetartemorion. Theyre usually 6mm & 0.18grams. Sometimes less.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hey Lord M., just curious why you haven't mentioned using ANACS? Most ancients guys that I know are ANACS guys.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So how does NGC encapsulate teeny-tiny coins? >>

Very very carefully... image >>

------------------------------------------------------------------

They have teeny-tiny people who work in the slabbing room who only slab these teeny-tiny coins with a teeny-tiny slab machine image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Lord M., just curious why you haven't mentioned using ANACS? Most ancients guys that I know are ANACS guys. >>

I don't believe ANACS does them anymore?

NGC seem to be the leaders now? I know ICG dropped out.