Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever had a coin come back from a top TP Grading Co. unsealed??

A friend of mine had a High grade Morgan submitted for regrade by a dealer at a recent show. The coin went through the regrading process and was returned to the friend via the dealer. When my friend tried to put the slab in one of the TPG boxes, it would not fit. Upon closer view, the two halves of the slab were not connected at any point.

The coin has since been sent back to the TPG and hopefully sealed. BTW, the coin did not upgrade and it was not sent to our hosts for this service. image
Gary

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Yes, but rarely. With as many coins as they grade and encapsulate, it is to be
    expected -- the human factor and all that.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have had one PCGS and two NGC slabs come back unsealed. Aquired all of those years ago, have not had one back in the past 4 or so years...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the are very interested in getting an unsealed slab back.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Yes but very rarely.

Over the years I have received several PCGS slabs that were improperly sealed. About five years ago I got a 10-coin order back from NGC and all 10 slabs were assembled but completely unsealed.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess the are very interested in getting an unsealed slab back. >>

Yup. Serious security breach that the quality contol guy missed during the final inspection. I wonder what they would bring on eBay.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file