Home U.S. Coin Forum

Colonial Overstrikes, are any triple strikes known?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not unusual for a "two state coin", but are any triple Overstrikes known?

Comments

• Hi There Ambro,

Take a look at Lot 171 in the Picker Sale, October 24, 1984. It contains a perfectly quartered "four leaf clover" quadruple-srtuck Connecticut copper. While this was clearly made for show, I have seen several triple strikes over the years. Maybe half were done on purpose and the other half just triple struck. You tend to see these multi-struck oddities most in the counterfeit British halfpenny area where there was little to no quality control.

Best,

novacaesarea
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen that piece, clearly the coiner having a little fun. What I'm referring to would say be a Vermont Ryder 12 struck over a Nova Constellatio... Then that piece ending up being over struck as a New Jersey.
  • NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Ambro,

Yes there are a few "double undertypes" known in the colonial series. I sold a Maris 34-V (R-6 die variety) that was over struck on a Maris 35-J (the 1787/1887 variety) and the 35-J was previously struck on a Connecticut copper. So on the 34-V you could see the overdate and horse head of the 35-J as well as the Connecticut arm with branch on the reverse. It was pretty cool.

There is also another Maris 34-V known over struck on a 35-J that was previously struck on a RR-16 Vermont copper.

Obviously in this case, the Maris 34-V was struck somewhat later than some other NJ die varieties of the same date.

I am sure there are a couple of other pieces known like this, but the two listed above are the ones that immediately come to mind.
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file