Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Gary Sheffield make the HOF

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
The traditional (old school) stat guys will point to his 509 HR's and say YES. The new stat guys will point to his WAR over the span of his career and point out that he is behind Kenny Loften. Sheffield also has the curse of wearing too many uniforms over the course of his career. Does he make it?
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    Yuck! No chance.

He is right there with Palmeiro and company in regards to PED use. He was one of the guys who admitted to 'unknowingly' taking steroids and claimed that steroids are only things injected into your butt...and since he never got his steroids in that fashion, that he didn't take them.

A true blue liar in denial.

The guy is also a jerk.

Also, he said he made errors on purpose when he was with the Brewers so that he could be traded...a far worse infraction that what Pete Rose did.

It would be a disgrace to have this man represent baseball by putting his face on a plaque in the Hall.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In looking at his offensive numbers, he should be a LOCK! He was in the NL for a lot of his career, so I didn't follow him too closely. Averaged 100 runs and 100 RBI a year for his career also .292 BA and .907 OPS. I would say he was the rare type of hitter who could hit in the .300's (.330 twice) and still hit a lot of home runs, 8 times over 30.

I remember something about him playing poorly in order to get out of Milwaukee at the start of his career. Did he have a lot of "attitude" problems? Was he ever implicated in any PED investigations? If not, he waltzes in.

Joe

Edited to add; I see a new post linking him to steroids. If he used KEEP HIM OUT!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. He will be tainted by the steroid era. Maybe someday through the veteran's committee.
  • Options
    He has roughly the same stats and medicine cabinet as Rafael Palmeiro, plus the added benefit of being a jerk. He may get 25% of the vote since he didn't wag his finger at congress.
  • Options
    Instead of making 106 threads about "Will **** make the HOF?" how about one thread about those that are eligible?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He won't get in but he had a heckuva career. Great player before his prime (nearly winning the Triple Crown with San Diego), great player in his prime (1996 with Florida), great player after his prime (2003 with Atlanta, 2004 with New York). He was also a sulking jerk who underperformed often enough to get bounced to a ton of teams. Mix that with his steroid history and he's got not shot at getting in.

If you wanna put a steroid jerk into the Hall, Albert Belle should go in long before Sheffield.

Tabe
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, he said he made errors on purpose when he was with the Brewers so that he could be traded...a far worse infraction that what Pete Rose did. >>

Randy Johnson did the same thing to get out of Seattle - do you hold that against him as well?

Tabe
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll change my vote to NO!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    The real 500 home run club is back when that lithograph came out. In the late 80's or early 90's, there were about 10 or 11 guys on it. All of them were legitimate.

There was a very clear line, between power or not. Reggie Jackson was, like #6. Now he is 13th? Will they create a steroid wing in the Hall of Fame?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No chance. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I think his stats are HOF worthy. However, I don't think any player named on the Mitchell Report ever makes it into the Hall. Well, actually I think Roger Clemens will ultimately get in and he might be the only one from the Mitchell Report. But Sheffield will not.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    No!