Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Virtual (Digital) Coinboards ... and my Half Dollar Type Collection

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
Virtual (Digital) Coinboards ... and my Half Dollar Type Collection. I designed some digital coinboards for Lincoln Proofs about a month ago, and had a collector on another board ask me about doing a version of my digital coinboards for Type Collections. So I thought I would try my hand at doing one for my Half Dollar Type collection.

Note that I did leave out a number of subtypes on this first cut version, including the Draped Bust Small Eagle (which is just wildly expensive) and a myriad of subtypes for the Capped Bust, Seated Liberty and Kennedy, but that's the beauty of a custom board -- you can make it fit what you collect!

I struggled with the question of the size of the coins on the board and the "white space", both around the coins and around the edges -- but it's definitely a catch-22, especially if you want to show a number of different types (denominations) all on one board (or on a number of boards in a grouping) and want to maintain the proper aspect ratio between the various types. In that case, you HAVE to make the larger diameter coins larger so the smaller diameter coins are discernible.

The larger sized coin version (top image) is nice because you can see more detail, but the smaller sized coin version (bottom image) is nice because I think the added white space shows the coins off better and looks more pleasing to the eye (almost more dramatic). But if you want to show multiple denominations all together (in a grouping) and you make the larger diameter coins too small, the smaller diameter coins (like the silver Three Cent Piece) will be too tiny to discern (easily).

In any case, if you just show one denomination on a stand-alone board (as I did here), the size becomes more irrelevant -- which gives you more freedom on the sizing issue.

There certainly are a lot of "moving parts" to doing these digital coin boards for Type Collections!

I was locked into a digital coinboard (total) width of 1100 pixels, which is an optimal width for web display and matches the width of the web-optimized TrueView image size. (A width we are all used to looking at and dealing with on the Forums).

The grades of the coins below are: (first row) PCGS F15, PCGS VF25; (second row) PCGS AU50, PCGS PR63, NGC PF63; (third row) PCGS MS66, PCGS PR66, PCGS MS66.

Larger Sized Coins Version:

Smaller Sized Coins Version:

It's interesting to note that even though the Half Dollars on my 2nd (smaller coin version) coinboard (posted just above) look small, they are actually slightly larger than an actual Half Dollar (if you held it up to your monitor). So in some ways, the smaller sized half dollar board provides a more "real world" perspective -- in other words, a bit more like a view if you flipped open your Dansco 7070 album and took a gander -- but then again we all get so used to seeing HUGE images of coins in the digital world, that as things (images) approach reality, they look tiny by comparison. Kind of a funny artifact.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are interesting combined images and I agree that it is a tough call regarding open space and filled space. In some ways, the layout (fixed spacing) of a coin album might work well since we are all familiar with that type of format.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your digital coinboard project looks very nice!image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Really nice!

The larger coin format on top works for me.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Smaller Sized Coins Version:

It's interesting to note that even though the Half Dollars on my 2nd (smaller coin version) coinboard (posted just above) look small, they are actually slightly larger than an actual Half Dollar (if you held it up to your monitor). So in some ways, the smaller sized half dollar board provides a more "real world" perspective -- in other words, a bit more like a view if you flipped open your Dansco 7070 album and took a gander -- but then again we all get so used to seeing HUGE images of coins in the digital world, that as things (images) approach reality, they look tiny by comparison. Kind of a funny artifact. >>

Sometimes I'll step back from my monitor a few paces when people post huge pictures, for the same reason. I still find it odd to see pictures of coins the size of dinner plates and this helps picture how the coin really looks in hand. That's a really nice collection of half dollars, great photography and arrangement.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i love the top
    it's just more about the coins and less dead space
    sweet presentation
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    LOVE. IT. Top one is my favorite. I love being able to see more detail (thanks to the larger images).

You really did a great job, I am seriously impressed. You've inspired me to try and create one of my own, but first I'll have to snap some photos ... when I have some free time ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is a group collage that Cladiator put together for me a few years ago, using pictures I'd taken of the individual coins over time with different lighting conditions, which makes the colors look more different than they are, but ends up adding a little more visual interest to the group, going for a set of DBHE halves by major (redbook) variety

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the larger view best so that the designs can be better appreciated. If I had the fortune to own such a collection, I would be tempted to put your coinboard into a poster and frame it for a wall display. Very nicely done!
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool group collage!

the framed print idea is interesting
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    More than interesting - I'd pay for one. Only problem is that many of the photos of our coins are 72 dpi (for computer viewing) and most print labs require minimum 200 dpi, non-professional labs like Kinkos often need 300 dpi.

Basically, you (or the owner of the set) would likely need to re-photograph the coins before printing.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for the larger-sized coin photos. Good job image
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

I like the realism and added dimension the shadow offers on the coins.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Sometimes I'll step back from my monitor a few paces when people post huge pictures, for the same reason. I still find it odd to see pictures of coins the size of dinner plates and this helps picture how the coin really looks in hand.>>

I agree, don't see the need for a pic 10X it's size. 3 to 5X is ok with me.
    Great job with the coin board, beautiful pieces.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file