Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Over & Under valued Post War HOF Rookies

Post War HOF Rookies, one of the most popular sets being collected in the registry, and one of the most fun collections. No commons, all rookies of the best players of our era, but I think there are some grossly over & under valued cards in the set. For example:

Over Valued- 1980 Ricky Henderson PSA 9, with a population of 1263, how can this card consistantly go for over $300. I saw one last month go for $400.
1952 Eddie Mathews PSA 1-4, 1st and last cards in a set carry a premium because it is much harder to find them in high grade, as we all know. But that does not mean it's hard to find them in low grade. Between grades of 1 to 4, there are twice as many Mathews as there are Wilhelms, another high numbered HOF rookie. So, the low grade Mathews should be about the same, more available cards but Mathews was a bigger name than Wilhelm. But that is surely not the case, so all you sellers selling low grade Mathews rookies, lower your BIN's.

Under Valued- 1966 Don Sutton & Fergie Jenkins PSA 8, with populations of 175 & 214 and SMR's of $110 & $135, these cards, well centered, often sell for $140 to $160.

Sort of Under Valued- 1958 Orlando Cepeda & 1960 Willie McCovey PSA 8, it's getting so that you hardly ever see a nice Cepeda PSA 8. Lot's of 7's, but not 8's, and the McCovey has really been going way over book with nice ones going for $500.

I would love to hear some of your input on these cards or others you beleive are over or under valued!image

Comments

• TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    -I think the Mathews is valuable, more for mystic. The last card in a legendary set. It also has a lot of centering problems.

And a 500 home run hitter. Power hitters are always collectible.

-The 1971 Blyleven rc has always seemed undervalued. 3,700 strikeouts. Career winning percentage actually not much different than Nolan Ryan.

324-292 for Ryan. 287-250 for Blyleven. I think even back in the 80's or 90's, people thought it was undervalued.

-The '63 Stargell rc has always been kind of a sleeper, esp compared to Rose. I don't expect it to jump, but I don't think you'd lose much money on it. Is it as condition sensitive as other early 60's HOF rookies?

-Overvalued, Nolan Ryan rc? Is that blasphemous to say? I remember when that card was scorching hot. Blasted past a $1,000 in 1991 or 92.

Why would it be so much higher than Sutton, Jenkins, Palmer? Is he really 10x better than Sutton in PSA 8.

Henderson put up a lot of good numbers. I'll say his cards are evenly priced. 3,000 hits, exciting player. His 1980 rookie was always expensive. I think a lot of people wanted it as a kid, and now are buying it.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i don't think anything is undervalued right now. people are paying sick money for the nicest cards they can get their hands on, and the prices we actually get to see reflected are due to competition.

the Henderson rookie in PSA 9 has vast potential in that there are precious few 10's and we never see them come up for sale.

sooner or later somebody is going score a high end 9 and get it bumped. then maybe another. and another.

until that happens, there will be a spike in value for the very best examples of the card in PSA 9.
  • Those are excellent points regarding the Blyleven, Ryan, Stargell and even the Mathews rookie. I don't disagree or doubt Rickey Henderson great career, I just think because there are so many PSA 9's out there, one could wait for the right price. But, I have been waiting & waiting & still do not own one!image
  • I think the Henderson rookie has fooled people.

It was a $100-150 card years ago. When he was catching the stolen base record. Then it never really collapsed after that (like the 82 Topps regular Ripken or Boggs rookie). The 1980 print run was small enough, and not enough mint copies coming out of wax or cello.

Thus, it's still around $400 now.

-With Nolan Ryan, I think he has kind of a "Mickey Mantle" premium. With his persona, life in Texas. Throwing 7 no hitters in the early 90's was like Mantle hitting 18 home runs in the World Series. It gave his cards a special "pop".

I wonder if that will continue for Ryan. Will collecting power pitchers be as popular in the future....given how pitching has changed. I don't know.
  • This is a great thread. im working on this set, and am down to my last six (damn you 48 Leaf SPs! LOL)

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Rickey Henderson is the greatest leadoff hitter of all time. I'd venture to say the percentage of nines against what is graded is less than 10 percent. I still want to own a nine myself.
  • the Rickey Rookie is also a mega-classic pose.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Way to go "Those Back Pages", 91.46% completed. Your almost there. I'm afraid I have another 75% to go, figure I should be there in about July of 2017, that's if I don't have to start over again!

Regarding the Henderson rookie PSA 9, none of you seems to think that a population of 1263 is a factor? That is what I basing my theory on that they are over priced. But as I mentioned early, I must be wrong because they continue to sell well over $300.

On another note, I just noticed that a Probstein auction sold a Randy Johnson rookie PSA 10 for over $80 when their are BIN's for $39 or less. Once again, I don't know how he does it, but he is "The Man". image
  • celloscellos Posts: 128 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Regarding the Henderson rookie PSA 9, none of you seems to think that a population of 1263 is a factor? That is what I basing my theory on that they are over priced. But as I mentioned early, I must be wrong because they continue to sell well over $300.
    >>

Keep in mind that the pop report isn't really accurate unless you are looking at 10's. I would bet many 9's have been cracked out and sent in to PSA over and over again in the hopes for a 10. While there isn't exactly 1263 out there I would say there would be several hundred though.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I think the most over valued HOF rookie is the 65 Namath. I get that he was hugely popular but statistically he wasn't that great. The card is also SP and condition sensitive.. But I still don't think it should trade so much higher than the other hof QBs from that era. This is kinda blasphemous considering its the number 1 football card I've wanted since I was a kid and saw it consistently priced over 1000 in the old beckets.

Under valued I think its Cassius Clay rookie..m the problem is agreeing on what that card is. I think any of early cards other than the 71 barrat are under valued though.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here