Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Uh, do you think coins can tone in the holder?

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the most extreme case I've seen!

ebay roosie

Sometimes they turn beautifully, sometimes...not so much.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• Options
    TinyTiny Posts: 2,598
    That is one awful looking coin and I doubt it toned in that holder. I believe that coins need
    to be in contact with someting other than a piece of plastic to turn colors. Weren't coins
    supposed to remain prestine if they are incased in a TPG slab?

This one came out of a mint set and hasn't changed while in the slab.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how do you know it turned in the holder?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    True, but it doesn't seem likely that someone would send in a black coin...

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a black coin.
    Didn't tone in the holder.

peacockcoins

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how do you know it turned in the holder? >>

...true unless in an NGC holder because most of their coins are viewable on their site in slab.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    definitely as the holders are not airtight
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I believe that coins need to be in contact with someting other than a piece of plastic to turn colors."
    The plastic also holds a paper label not far from the coin.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet that is just a lousy pic of an attractive coin.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller has other coins he obviously scanned that appear black.

:/

peacockcoins

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Obviously a rhetorical question!

Yes, they can and DO tone within a holder. Even in the best storage conditions they continue to tone over time!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Definitely. I have personally experienced toning forming over a number of years with coins
    in all 3 of the major grading services' holders. The old white ANACS holders had a penchant
    for this, with many Morgan dollars developing really attractive peripheral toning.

Newer holders must be more airtight, as coins in them do not seem to be toning as quickly.
    They have not been around long enough to make an absolute statement, though.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen coins turn in holders before, but that is usually a sign of some active contaminant already on the surface at the time of encapsulation. With PCGS using the sniffer, this should be more or less taken care of. Otherwise, the slabs are airtight enough to preserve the coin for quite some time. I collect mostly PCGS toners and my collection has not yet turned in the holder, with some coins I've personally had encapsulated as far back as 7 years ago.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a scan. I doubt the coin looks much like the image presented on ebay. It was more likely taken from a US Mint Set prior to certification and would have perhaps been dark already.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several Silver Eagles in the older PCI slabs that have definitely toned in the holders. They have nice toning now, but are in slabs designated as "100% White." I thought that was pretty cool to have a toned coin in a slab marked 100% White so I bought them up. If that company's plastic tones the coins, then it's plausible that other slabs may tone coins as well.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Roosevelt dime MS-66 that's darker than that one LOL....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have several Silver Eagles in the older PCI slabs that have definitely toned in the holders. They have nice toning now, but are in slabs designated as "100% White." I thought that was pretty cool to have a toned coin in a slab marked 100% White so I bought them up. If that company's plastic tones the coins, then it's plausible that other slabs may tone coins as well. >>

I think those PCI coins and some old ANACS and even NGC as well toned not due to the plastic but rather the paper inserts.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>definitely as the holders are not airtight >>

Agree and sometimes a coin that has been dipped and improperly rinsed will tone or discolor within the slab due to the residual chemical residue from the dip.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...copper coins are a good example of toning so to speak. check out a red description on a slab years later and you'll find it is brown, even though it has been in a slab. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have several Silver Eagles in the older PCI slabs that have definitely toned in the holders. They have nice toning now, but are in slabs designated as "100% White." I thought that was pretty cool to have a toned coin in a slab marked 100% White so I bought them up. If that company's plastic tones the coins, then it's plausible that other slabs may tone coins as well. >>

PCI Holders have a rputation for toning coins.

Has anybody cracked one out and if so, what was the holder made of? image

As for the NGC label and its proximity to the coin, I don't no that NGC did NOT used archival quality paper for the labels. If not then, then most certainly within recent years.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking it's much more likely that the PCI plastic is toning the coins and not the labels. The coins tone in a target toning style from the edge of the coin inward. If it were the label it would more likely be toning from the area of the coin closest to the label only.

I have some of the old PCCI and INGS slabs with the big photos next to the coins and those labels do seem to tone the coins as the edges of the coin next to the labels do get toning while the opposite sides do not.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The early no-line/no bar code fatty holders could indeed tone the coin in striking colors over several years, especially if it were white or dipped to begin with.
    That topic has been discussed here before.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

PCI Holders have a rputation for toning coins.

Has anybody cracked one out and if so, what was the holder made of? image >>

The toning in the older PCI slabs was caused by the soft plastic ring that holds the coin rather the the hard plastic shell. I have no idea what type of plastic they were made from but they may have been PVC since they were soft.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking it's much more likely that the PCI plastic is toning the coins and not the labels. The coins tone in a target toning style from the edge of the coin inward. If it were the label it would more likely be toning from the area of the coin closest to the label only.

I have some of the old PCCI and INGS slabs with the big photos next to the coins and those labels do seem to tone the coins as the edges of the coin next to the labels do get toning while the opposite sides do not. >>

I agree with your assessment of the PCI toning. I have seen the labels turn brown on the bottom edge of the paper. Not sure what impact that has had on the tone coining, or if perhaps the paper turned brown on that bottom edge because it was closest to the inner ring which is the culprit.

But yes, many of the PCI toners are target toning with the most being at the edges of the coin and over time the toning moves inward on the coin.

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd wager that the coin is not that dark in hand. I copied the image into PhotoShop and tweaked it as much as I could, the result being some greens, orange and blues. The coin sold for $15, so not much downside risk.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    old anacs holders cause nice toning IMO
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    I've noticed PCI slabs give off a very pronounced acrylic smell (smells just like uncured super glue...cyanoacrylate) when cracked.

The inner ring however is not acyrlic. No idea what it's composition is...gummi bears?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny...the OP coin sold. But the seller has two more listed. Same coin. LOL.
    Lance.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd wager that the coin is not that dark in hand. I copied the image into PhotoShop and tweaked it as much as I could, the result being some greens, orange and blues. The coin sold for $15, so not much downside risk. >>

Agreed, and thats why I offered the seller $15. At worst its really dark and will go into my old holder collection, no downside with this coin.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Apparently the old no-line fattys can clone themselves.
  • Options

<< <i>Apparently the old no-line fattys can clone themselves. >>

Yikes, with the same serial numbers!

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year a 1901-S 25c appeared at a Stacks sale graded PCGS MS68+. When it appeared 25 years ago (freshly dipped from a subdued PC MS66 by "Magic Mark" and then NGC MS68) it was, as one might expect, blast white. Now it's still monster white but developed beautiful ring toning and obviously crossed. And CACed. image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ugh.

Value= melt
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the most extreme case I've seen!

ebay roosie

Sometimes they turn beautifully, sometimes...not so much. >>

Actually its quite nice for a toiner in hand image
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file