Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 TOPPS MINI COMPLETE SET REG. W PSA 100%GRADED 8.68 AVG. 467 9'S AWESOME!!!

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    wow congrats thats awesome.....image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's actually a pretty fair price, imo, if the cards all measure up correctly..the tougher PSA 9 commons in this set go for crazy money..of any set from the 70s, the minis offer the greatest "bang" for the buck as far unopened goes..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Interesting item to discuss. Evaluating a set by its Registry GPA is kind of like gauging someone's fitness by body weight alone-- it's also very much about body comp/fat percentage. Point being that while a very nice set, this one doesn't have many of the notoriously tough commons or even major stars in PSA 9. Those rare low pop centered 9s are where the real value is in minis. Would be very hard for an aspiring set builder to buy this whole enchilada and then upgrade this one, as they'd be waiting a long time for so many tough, expensive cards. If they just wanted a nice set to leave as is of course different story.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    What is total VCP for all of the graded cards? That would give a pretty good idea as to overall value as some would likely go higher and some would likely go lower than avg. VCP.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I did the homework on the set a few months ago when it first surfaced and came to the exact same conclusion as Matty. We even discussed it on the mini thread, though I am too lazy to look it back. The bottom line is that while it is a very nice set, it is startling in its lack of what I would call "power". There is only one ten and it is an extremely common one at that. There are relatively few 9s of key Hofers and few low pop 9s that would bring real money. Echoing Matty, it is a very nice set to own, but it is kind of at a plateau where it is as good as you can get before you start buying cards and $50 to $500 each to improve an iota at a time.

An 8.5~ set was sold by REA a few years ago for $17k~ and it was probably a better set. It had 13 psa 10s including Lynn and a ton of beast 9s, including Carew, Winfield, Garvey, Schmidt, etc.

I've looked this set over on extreme zoom and it looks like a relatively clean set. There are shorts, but they aren't rampant as they have been in other complete sets sold in the last few years.

I also modeled the break value as per vcp and it came up almost exactly at the sets minimum bid, which makes it an impossible break as well. I did make an offer offline in the interest of breaking it and may revisit if it doesn't sell.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I did the homework on the set a few months ago when it first surfaced and came to the exact same conclusion as Matty. We even discussed it on the mini thread, though I am too lazy to look it back. The bottom line is that while it is a very nice set, it is startling in its lack of what I would call "power". There is only one ten and it is an extremely common one at that. There are relatively few 9s of key Hofers and few low pop 9s that would bring real money. Echoing Matty, it is a very nice set to own, but it is kind of at a plateau where it is as good as you can get before you start buying cards and $50 to $500 each to improve an iota at a time.

An 8.5~ set was sold by REA a few years ago for $17k~ and it was probably a better set. It had 13 psa 10s including Lynn and a ton of beast 9s, including Carew, Winfield, Garvey, Schmidt, etc.

I've looked this set over on extreme zoom and it looks like a relatively clean set. There are shorts, but they aren't rampant as they have been in other complete sets sold in the last few years.

I also modeled the break value as per vcp and it came up almost exactly at the sets minimum bid, which makes it an impossible break as well. I did make an offer offline in the interest of breaking it and may revisit if it doesn't sell. >>

so basically it's worth around $15,000 after fees if you broke it, so its true market value is probably around $13,500 - $14,000 at auction.
  • Options
    With that many 9's it would be worth it at $15k and risk cracking and resubbing most of the 9's.
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    The set would have to be purchased for $14,000 to turn a profit after Ebay fees. I made him a few offers on the set, but his price is way too high.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak