Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading Service for Lower Value Morgan and Peace Dollars?

moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
I am thinking about sending some of my lower grade/value VAM coins to SEGS for grading, but I have heard some say they are inconsistent in grading while others say they are not. I have quite a few that would not be worth the slabbing fees at a major grading service.

I recently saw a 1878 7TF in a SEGS MS65 holder sell for $85 on eBay so it made me wonder about their grading accuracy. The eBay picture wasn't good enough to tell about the actual grade of the coin, but that still sounds awfully cheap to me if they are in the ballpark on their grading. I know SEGS slabs are not allowed to be listed on eBay but this one didn't have the name in the title.

Any opinions, comments or experience with SEGS grading of Morgan and Peace dollars would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Consistency is the key for all grading services. A company's grading standards are difficult to trust if they are not consistent.

SEGS graded product comes in all forms. I have received upgrades on SEGS coins and I have seen coins holdered that I have doubts about their authenticity.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently saw a 1878 7TF in a SEGS MS65 holder sell for $85 on eBay >>

Yeah that seller saved a few bucks on grading fees too and now the coin wholesales at 1/2 grey sheet.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just how much is being saved by going through segs vs pcgs vs ngc vs anacs?

certainly cannot be that much of a difference

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put them in a 2x2 and put your own grade on the holder. That's what SEGS does but
    with plastic. Save the dough.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are low value, put them in a safe flip or one of those Coin World slabs and use the money you save to buy more coins. You can put your own grade on the holder or not. Paying for a slab other than NGC or PCGS is a waste of money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they are low value, put them in a safe flip or one of those Coin World slabs and use the money you save to buy more coins. You can put your own grade on the holder or not. Paying for a slab other than NGC or PCGS is a waste of money. >>

If it's not NGC or PCGS it might as well not be slabbed.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent.
  • Options

<< <i>I am thinking about sending some of my lower grade/value VAM coins to SEGS for grading, but I have heard some say they are inconsistent in grading while others say they are not. I have quite a few that would not be worth the slabbing fees at a major grading service.

I recently saw a 1878 7TF in a SEGS MS65 holder sell for $85 on eBay so it made me wonder about their grading accuracy. The eBay picture wasn't good enough to tell about the actual grade of the coin, but that still sounds awfully cheap to me if they are in the ballpark on their grading. I know SEGS slabs are not allowed to be listed on eBay but this one didn't have the name in the title.

Any opinions, comments or experience with SEGS grading of Morgan and Peace dollars would be appreciated.

Thanks! >>

SEGS is not a reputable TPG, IMO. They label ridiculous designations, that really don't amount to anything, and also are non-existent within the top TPGs.

For instance, labeling a Franklin half as being 75% FBL.

Basically that means the half is not an FBL as the standards are, depending on whether your a fan of PCGS or NGC, the bottom, or both sets, of bell lines must be full and uninterrupted.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i wouldn't dismiss ANACS but i would dismiss SEGS. jmo. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i believe anacs has silver dollar grading specials at 10 for $100 from time to time

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If grading your coins is meant to help improve their resale value or ease of selling at some point in the future, then either send them to PCGS-NGC-ANACS or save your money and keep them raw.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If they are low value, put them in a safe flip or one of those Coin World slabs and use the money you save to buy more coins. You can put your own grade on the holder or not. Paying for a slab other than NGC or PCGS is a waste of money. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    I am not very good at telling if a coin will be designated as genuine not gradable by PCGS and when I received a SEGS special offer of $7.50 per coin and thought it might be a cheap way of screening for cleaned coins.

I think a big percentage of circulated Morgan and Peace dollars have been cleaned in the past, but does SEGS usually do a good job of detecting excessive cleaning on coins?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easier to set money on fire with a lighter than to ship coins and wait for them to be returned.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not very good at telling if a coin will be designated as genuine not gradable by PCGS and when I received a SEGS special offer of $7.50 per coin and thought it might be a cheap way of screening for cleaned coins.

I think a big percentage of circulated Morgan and Peace dollars have been cleaned in the past, but does SEGS usually do a good job of detecting excessive cleaning on coins? >>

In my experience, no.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not very good at telling if a coin will be designated as genuine not gradable by PCGS and when I received a SEGS special offer of $7.50 per coin and thought it might be a cheap way of screening for cleaned coins.

I think a big percentage of circulated Morgan and Peace dollars have been cleaned in the past, but does SEGS usually do a good job of detecting excessive cleaning on coins? >>

Is there local B&M you can work with on this to get opinions before submitting likely problem coins?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a world away from being an expert grader, but really, half of the trick is to look at coins the same way the TPG guys do. Get in a relatively dim room with a reasonbly good point light source and look through a loupe. It's amazing what sort of stuff jumps out that you couldn't see in diffuse lighting. If they can see it, you can too, right?

Now, deciding just how many hairlines are OK is beyond what I know.......

To answer the OP, I'd use a loupe, flips, a label, and a pen. Same result. Same value at resale. image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i believe anacs has silver dollar grading specials at 10 for $100 from time to time >>

this exactly...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's easier to set money on fire with a lighter than to ship coins and wait for them to be returned. >>

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file