Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

It isn't a coin, but man, I'd sure love to have this.

---> image <---

So we can make this a "pipe dream" thread. Post something you'd love to own, but never will, or something you love but still might not buy even if you had the money.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Cool! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I freakin wish...

Gold Roman
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I wholly approve of bronzemat's dream, too. image

An aureus has been on my dream list for about five years now. I had a chance to buy a (somewhat lower grade) Nero aureus back in '98 for something like $800-900, and I didn't- that was an awful lot of money to me then. Now you're lucky to see one at twice that price. It may be a long time before I ever get one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

But a genuine one, not the recent copy floating around.

Doesn't really tie to anything I collect, but I think one of these Athens 10 drachm would be the ultimate dream purchase for me. Years ago (and when my kids were very small) someone offered a cut fraction of one of these for $10k. It was an unthinkable amount of money for me to commit to at the time, but probably the closest I'll ever get...

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    "It isn't a coin, but ... "

You mean like a Lamborghini?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Car department:

Coin department:

I only got this one, a replica of the real McCoy.

note: Preview option doesn't work with me ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Anything gold and rare pretty much sums it up for me.

Luckily, I like and truly enjoy the cheapo common stuff too.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, I wholly approve of bronzemat's dream, too. image

An aureus has been on my dream list for about five years now. I had a chance to buy a (somewhat lower grade) Nero aureus back in '98 for something like $800-900, and I didn't- that was an awful lot of money to me then. Now you're lucky to see one at twice that price. It may be a long time before I ever get one. >>

Ancients in the late 90s and early 00s were pretty much bargains compared to now. So many have said. I seemed to have gotten on the ancient train a little late but then again, I see them continuing to go up since I started & I am grateful I got several pieces as cheap as I did.

Still stories of Byzantine gold at around $100 or so image
  • Options
    imageimage

Dream coin...
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

I've wanted a reale pillar dollar ever since I read an article in The Numismatist stating the history of the coin and its leading to our $ dollar sign (which as far as I'm concerned with ALWAYS have two vertical lines not just the one)!

My current dream coin, however, is the Pan-Pac octagon $50 gold. Man oh man. If I had the money... I would totally buy one, drool on the slab for 6 months, and flip it.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Not only is it a Pillar, it's a Santiago Pillar.image

Super-rare, especially so nice!
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my collection would be able to spill out into the back yard.