Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toning on PCGS slabbed gold SSB coins

I have each of the 2012 gold $5 commemorative Star Spangled Banner coins slabbed in PCGS holders (69s). The coins looked to be brand new a couple of months ago, no spots or toning. I just looked at them yesterday and both have random orange toning in different areas of the coins. Is this "normal" for a commemorative coin and will the whole coin turn or just a portion of it? How does it affect the value? Would PCGS have any guarantee for this type of spotting? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the same thing with AGE's in PCGS and ICG slabs, but never this quickly. My personal opinion is that the paper label is the culprit but I'm no expert. Maybe our host will join in on the guarantee question and also their opinion on cause. It's been discussed here before (concerning AGEs), do a search.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I have some with the same kind of toning.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    I have the same toning on my gold Torch Runners and MOH proofs.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I thought it was just me.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    MM Posts: 363
    I had done a search and found some concerns about the AGE's on older threads. I was wondering if commemoratives are more susceptible and if you can do anything about it?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some .9999 Fine First Spouse coins with discoloration on the surface (splotches, not spots nor specks)

It is in the realm of possibility that the commemoratives tone more because they are only 90% gold and 10% copper.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file