Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

That thread about the large hoard of cards reminds me of something.

I used to buy the SCD (Sports Collectors Digest) magazines and I remember one time for some reason or another they offered or I got a free classified ad. I had quite a large amount of cards - I think I was probably 17 or 18 or so at this point (the was probabaly like 1988/9 or so), and I placed an ad like:

500 different cards of your favorite baseball or football team - $20

or something like that - the thing was I had every plan to do the right thing and make sure the cards were different, not duplicates. I had alot of BB and FB cards, with far less hockey and basketball.

Well, the first (And maybe only) order I got was for 3 orders of Detroit Tigers cards! At first I was thinking 'How am I going to find 1500 different Tigers cards to send the guy?'. Then I realized each order promised 500 different, but there could be duplicates between orders - I had never said there would be no dups if multiple orders were placed. Fortunately I had enough cards that I was able to come up with 500 different Detroit Tigers cards 3 times. It did ruin a few of my sets I hadn't planned on ruining however - for example maybe I took a 1988 Fleer set and grabbed all of the Tigers cards or whatever. If I had gotten alot of orders I could have gone and bought more boxes and sets to fill in the orders, but with just that one I had to go with what I had.

I sent the order off and never heard from the customer, so I assumed it was OK. image

JJacks
Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s

Comments

• Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

I forgot to add that at the time I figured I probably had maybe 100-200K sports cards total - I don't think it was 500K or more - never got around to counting exactly. I kept some of them - but I sold a large bulk of them to a local card shop before I moved and then some other ones got water damaged and thrown away after basement flooding.

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s