Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATED w/coin in hand!!! Well I have just about given up hope... A coin lost in the mail!

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
Well I really enjoy double dies, and I had been looking for a nice 1984 DDO for a while. I finally found one without the dreaded carbon spots that seem to plague them. Well the coin shipped 09 July. It was marked delivered via delivery confirmation. The seller and I working to submit an insurance claim, but I am just saddened to lose a nice coin!!

Has anyone had a coin go missing?

It was marked delivered on 09 July, but to no avail! After many phone calls to the USPS, and speaking to the supervisor I had given up hope that this coin was lost. They had told me that they had checked all the slots in our communal mailbox. Well I saw the postman 2 days ago working at the box one street over, I was expecting a package and he had it waiting. I then asked him about the missing parcel, he told me he would look tomorrow, well after work I get home with my wife holding a package for me. On the box was "I hope this is the package you were looking for!". Well it was defiantly worth the wait!

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me, but good luck !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, had a $35 ancient roman go missing. Dealer mailed it off the week before xmas last year along with some other packages for other folks and mine along with everyones went missing. Luckily he had them insured & a postal employee was arrested for theft.

Apparently it was an employee that was being monitored.

Owell, got a rebate and found one in better shape cheaper.
  • Options
    KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Yes, a PCGS 1928 MS66FB Mercury Dime a few years ago. Money wise it all worked out with the seller, but the coin has never surfaced again.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. One and only one. But it was (from the pics I saw) a very nice one image
    1855 large cent....sigh.....

Coin was delivered and I went to sign for it from the post office. Signed, got the package, took a couple of steps, and looked the back of the package (manila envelope). A very fine slice right through the middle, lengthwise. There were 2 coins, individually wrapped in paper, that were supposed to be there (both were raw). Only 1 was there. The paper for the 2nd one was still there, but no coin.

Since I was still in the post office, it was very easy for them to witness and I worked with the seller on it and believe he didn't have a hassle with the post office refunding him (he immediately refunded me and is a straight up guy).
    So, while we both got reimbursed, there was no coin. I would have loved to have had that coin as it looked choice from the pics, and the seller only deals in very nice coins to start with.

Out of the hundreds (thousands if you could all the mint coins individually image ) of coins I have shipped/received, that was the only one lost so far. I have since, when I send coins, if I use an envelope, taken to putting the paper tape across the back of the package, in a "T" type of fashion to discourage anyone from slicing it open (I believe that doing so will show a slice very easily, so they would have to flat out steal the package and not just try to steal from it and let it be delivered where that could cause someone problems dealing with the post office.....if I hadn't still been there, chatting with the employee, when it was noticed, I would have likely had a problem since they would have had my signature saying "delivered").

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Yes, a couple of times, a coin did not show up. One was a PCGS MS66 Walking Liberty Half. I received a flimsy cardboard envelope with one of those strings you pull to open it. Needless to say, it was pulled open and the only thing in the envelope was the invoice. The clerk behind the counter just handed the envelope over to me as if nothing happened and asked me to sign (it was insured). I looked at the envelope, showed him it and he just shrugged his shoulders as it so say, "yeah, so what". Long story short, I filed a claim, go my money back, etc. Here was the worst part, this came from another dealer and the return address had the words Rare Coins" in it. talk about an invitation.
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    The very first coin I ever ordered through the mail got lost. I had just read an article before that that said your odds of a package getting lost was 1 in 10,000.This has been a few years ago and I have never had one lost since.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even better odds with Express, and better still using a large box. I have never even heard of anyone losing a package mailed this way. Of course, Registered takes the cake, but transit times are long, and the cost is going up.

FYI, I once shipped an express large box to PCGS with $108K worth of coins in it uninsured.

Call me stupid. I have been called worse.
  • Options
    Hold On!!!!
    A coin MIA for just three weeks... still stands a chance of finding it's home.... new or old.

We have had coins show up 6 months after they were missing.

We have shipped over 100,000 packages over the years (almost 200,000 now). And we have lost 8 packages.

I'll check with shipping... but I think that's the number. GOOD ODDS

So hold out, you might see your coin materialize after all.
    I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

Well I have just about given up hope... A coin lost in the mail!

...that's a real disappointment to be sure. i'm truly amazed at people that send coins through the mail in such tempting packaging. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had 1 stolen and 1 damaged.

1 is toooo many....they should never lose a coin or any package for that matter.

What really pi$$e$ me off is that you have to prove the value. I can't scream loud enough how stupid and unfair that is. If you are dealing with varieties where there are no price listings you are $crewed. You should get the money you paid insurance for....PERIOD!!!!

You should be able to box up a dog turd...insure it for $1000....if they lose it they owe you $1000 period!!!! You pay the premium you get the money.

Most if not all of us would rather have the coin than money anyway
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    my latest pcgs submission on return shipping...
    went from newport beach cali to spokane wa.
    hopefully they're just on a site seeing tour too and return home to "las vegas nv"...and no pcgs member in spokane says cool freebies here..image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had 1 stolen and 1 damaged.

1 is toooo many....they should never lose a coin or any package for that matter.

What really pi$$e$ me off is that you have to prove the value. I can't scream loud enough how stupid and unfair that is. If you are dealing with varieties where there are no price listings you are $crewed. You should get the money you paid insurance for....PERIOD!!!!

You should be able to box up a dog turd...insure it for $1000....if they lose it they owe you $1000 period!!!! You pay the premium you get the money.

Most if not all of us would rather have the coin than money anyway >>

...I AGREE 100%
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had 1 stolen and 1 damaged.

Most if not all of us would rather have the coin than money anyway >>

In a Perfect World, I might agree with you but certainly not about insuring a dig turd for $1,000.
    You see, unlike you and me, there are folks out there that will send a bag of rocks to a buddy, insure it for $10,000, have the buddy claim he never received it, and then file the insurance claim.

Gross misuse of insurance and outright fraud yet.........folks do it.

IF I owned an insurance company, I would think it fair and require that proof of value be supported. Especially if I'd never seen the item being insured AND have no idea what the value might be. It's not like folks can be trusted unless you consider "trustee's" to be trustworthy. Prisons and jails are full of trustee's.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    with the volume of mail that the PO handles daily... and the amount of hands (human) that touch each package, im surprised that such a small amount gets lost. if we were to see a picture of 10,000 pieces of mail in one pile, the concept of only one piece of all that getting lost seems almost miraculous
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    in a perfect world, the PO would not accept your payment of the insurance cost until the value was proven, then the proof of value wouldnt be an issue, why do that when you can just deny a claim ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lost a 1914 MS 64 RED cent I won on Teletrade back in April 2006. Partly because I moved, Partly because I lived in a Condo and it could have been put into anyones mail box.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I have also had some things go missing and show up after extended periods. Thankfully, it is the exception. Never give up hope. Last item was a note and signed vintage hand tinted photo from the last survivor of the Titanic disaster. It apparently burst out of its heavy mailer in transit to me from the UK and showed up in a new USPS package with my address copied off a letter by some really cool postal person! I was pretty sure I would never see it again as it was clearly a valuable item and was signed to me from "the last survivor of the Titanic."

I hope your situation remains unique!

Eric
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a package with a scarce 3rd edition red book disappear.

In another instance, I received an e-mail, 'got your books, sending them back today'.

I was lost, since I hadn't sent any.
    Then I remembered that I had sent some about 18 months earlier. And they had never been received.

A long week's wait and the package arrived:

Hard to see, but the post marks were almost 18 months apart.

18 months there, and 5 days back.

I had written off the shipment.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I had an express package show up 2 weeks late. I was worried about that one.

To the OP. If it was insured, wasn't a signature required?

--Jerry
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    I have one that i have been waiting for 19 days now. Advised the seller to follow up with the post office so they can investigate. Do not want this coin any longer after all this time... but still the seller refuses to refund me my money. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin has turned up!!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that one had a happy ending.

Yes, I've had a few go missing over the years. Probably less than 1%, out of hundreds if not thousands of shipments. But a few were painful.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had an express package show up 2 weeks late. I was worried about that one.

To the OP. If it was insured, wasn't a signature required?

--Jerry >>

unfortunately from my experience, insurance means leave in the mail box, or the porch, maybe even the sidewalk. i'd personally rather have signature confrim than insurance for under $1000 parcels

it is either, signature with no insurance that won't sit at your porch all day ironically the day you aren't home but at least goes back to the post office OR

insured so you think you can sleep at night but extremely valuable and rare coins will sit at your porch tempting someone looking for a more valuable package while you are gone ><

guess it is risk vs cost/reward vs preference

OR insured with signature confirm, much more cost but a great combo

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like happy endings !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file