Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

PCGS Price Guide ... feeling left out ...

I love PCGS slabs. They are clear. The grades are revered worldwide. They command more bids in auctions (more, not necessarily higher; at least that is my experience).

I love that recently PCGS updated the Population pages so many more countries have their own tabs besides the US, saving us all some clicks when searching the pop database.

However I am extremely frustrated that all of my US slabs have values in the PCGS Price Guide, most prominent and apparent in My Set Registry pages, yet it seems NONE of my world slabs have values.

Thoughts, anyone? Am I being unreasonable? If PCGS wants to hire me, I will gladly undertake this daunting task of data entry.
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me really. I don't find TPG price guides to be very indicative of actual market prices for world coins anyway.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would bother me if there was an up to date accurate price guide for World coins.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that an internet-based price guide (like PCGS website), which has a fairly active user base (us) would be more current more often than printed Krause catalogs which by the very nature of the publishing/distribution process are at least 6 months outdated before they even hit the shelves.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Perhaps what we really need is an aggregator PCGS TPG.

Maybe a more realistic approach would be to add only a few major countries (they have US figures, perhaps Britain and China could be next, or Canada-Brit-Australia-China; even though I don't focus on those countries it seems like a logical and practical step forward).

I don't expect a value for every coin ever minted but some of the majors would be nice.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there'll ever be an "accurate" price guide for world coins. Maybe for a few select countries, but not the whole lot. Australia is a good example, there is *no* accurate Australian price guide. The main Australian price guide is set by dealers and it doesn't actually reflect market pricing but the price certain dealers would like to get for their inventory. It's riddled with ridiculous price anomalies reflecting dealers who are hanging onto stock expecting retail prices they'll wont see again for years. As a further example the entire Australian banknote market collapsed 18 months ago and the catalogue still doesn't reflect this, with values commonly 500-1000% out whack with what the market is actually doing.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price guides are merely that... guides.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Exactly! and they have their uses on occasion. Maybe Aussie collectors won't get theirs, but we've had Red Book equivalent guides for Brit, Ancients, Greek, etc for years. Getting them online is easy. Accuracy should be only slightly harder. Aggregator sites are dime a dozen these days. If world-wide news media like Huffington Post can do it, the numismatic community probably can too. I guarantee there's more tweets, newsweeklies and dailies than there are coin auctions.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree with most - prices are just guides - you know better what they are worth and when you sell 'em it makes no difference guide or guidleless they'll get what the masses want to pay at that moment image

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons I keep a close watch on the sales of slabbed Mexico 8 Reales 1772-1821. This gives me a pretty good idea of the range to expect if I wanted to sell any of the pieces. In Russia we have an old saying - "rescue of those drowning is the responsibility of the drowning themselves". Hmm... sounds better in Russian... But the point is that I believe it's your responsibility as a collector of a certain series to be the one knowledgeable about the prices of that series.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems to me that an internet-based price guide (like PCGS website), which has a fairly active user base (us) would be more current more often than printed Krause catalogs which by the very nature of the publishing/distribution process are at least 6 months outdated before they even hit the shelves. >>

I was told numismaster updates between catalogs.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Good to know!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Hey looks like someone at PCGS agreed with me about adding other countries ... China price guide
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean there are no lifeguards in Russia? image

<< <i>Does that mean there are no lifeguards in Russia? image >>

Hmm, maybe the Presidential Bloc had to make budget cuts? Also a good method of population control? cheap Darwinism? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE