Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Attribution please

A friend that I bowl with gave me this to attribute.. Input would be greatly appreciatedimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like something trying to be an 8 Reales cob and failing miserably at it.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, fake piece of eight. Probably from a museum gift shop where they hawk 'em to tourists. I used to buy them as a kid in Florida, when we lived on the treasure coast. They looked snazzy in my fish tank.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, confirms my suspicion that it was not real. Looked too new and not dark enough for a real one.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mushy detail, like a cast piece. Dead giveaway. Mind you, some of the sea-salvaged real ones can look pretty awful, and they were crude to begin with, but that one is a pretty blatant replica. Those M's in the angles of the cross are pretty strange, too. (Or W's? The lions are upside-down in your picture. Never seen that on a real coin, as far as I can remember. Maybe it's a trademark of whoever cast the replicas?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1736 is a very commonly seen date on replica Spanish colonials. Apparently they sell them at Disneyland.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1736 is a very commonly seen date on replica Spanish colonials. Apparently they sell them at Disneyland. >>

Since I live just an Hour away from that playgroud, it is not a surprise that he had this. Thanks