Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Non-pattern reverse Cheerios Dollar sells for $500+

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
FYI

linky
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    that is some expensive plastic -- outside of the slab that coin is worth $1.00

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not for me

I'd rather have it in the blister pack than out.

(and you get a details graded cherrios cent in the auction as well. )
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    i agree, but in the blister pack you dont know which version you have

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very enlightening. I'd like to find either one, someday!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is an obverse die marker for the cherrios reverse.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Yep, they can be told by the obverse.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    You guys sure about that?

From small dollars:

In early June 2008 Tom DeLorey had the opportunity to examine one of the "non-pattern" Cheerios Dollars first hand. About the coin he examined he reports, "The NGC 'Cheerios' dollar I examined was struck from a well-worn pair of regular production dies that had struck many, many thousands of coins before this one. There is absolutely no suggestion that it is from any sort of special production run executed to provide coins specifically for General Mills. It looks like any other business strike released in calendar year 2000."
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    double post oops
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, they can be told by the obverse. >>

Yes they can and thank you Tom for alerting us about the obverse die mark.

I still need one for my collection
  • Options

<< <i>You guys sure about that?

From small dollars:

In early June 2008 Tom DeLorey had the opportunity to examine one of the "non-pattern" Cheerios Dollars first hand. About the coin he examined he reports, "The NGC 'Cheerios' dollar I examined was struck from a well-worn pair of regular production dies that had struck many, many thousands of coins before this one. There is absolutely no suggestion that it is from any sort of special production run executed to provide coins specifically for General Mills. It looks like any other business strike released in calendar year 2000." >>

Sure about what?

The pattern dollars can be identified while still in the original packaging by the obv. die marker.

The non-pattern dollars can be certified by the TPG's if they are the ones who remove the coin from the original packaging. If removed by anybody else, they cannot be distinguished from regular business strikes, using current knowledge.

I do have one non-pattern Cheerios dollar in my collection. If anybody else has a non-pattern dollar, either in a TPG holder or the original packaging, it might be interesting to study them side by side to see if they came from an identifiable same die.

TD
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are probably another 5,000 of them , some might still be in blister packs.
    According to pop. reports and 12 years later, I have my own theories about how many "boldly detailed tail feathered" specimens were actually produced. Seems there were 2 shipments made to General Mills. A box of 5,000 and then 500 ?
    500 sounds about right. Who knows the ratio ? Not even time will tell.
  • Options

<< <i>There are probably another 5,000 of them , some might still be in blister packs.
    According to pop. reports and 12 years later, I have my own theories about how many "boldly detailed tail feathered" specimens were actually produced. Seems there were 2 shipments made to General Mills. A box of 5,000 and then 500 ?
    500 sounds about right. Who knows the ratio ? Not even time will tell. >>

The question is, how many of them were found in cereal boxes by kids and simply spent? If you were a 9-year-old and you found a dollar in a cereal box, what would you do with it?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^
    How many kids, in real life, are the ones that pull out giveaways from Cheerios boxes?

peacockcoins

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Sure about what?
    >>

Sorry, I misread that chain of posts. I thought that was being put forth was that you could identify the non-pattern dollars from the obverse. Upon re-reading I see that is not what was being said at all image
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I pulled a few out of cheerios boxes. Had no idea that any of them could be worth more than a dollar, so I spent them.

I'd like to think they weren't pattern reverses anyway!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There are probably another 5,000 of them , some might still be in blister packs.
    500 sounds about right. Who knows the ratio ? Not even time will tell. >>

The question is, how many of them were found in cereal boxes by kids and simply spent? If you were a 9-year-old and you found a dollar in a cereal box, what would you do with it? >>

Spending some certainly makes the hunt more exciting image

Is there a list of rare / scarce circulation moderns that people can focus on while searching circulation moderns? Might be interesting.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fiancee' wanted to buy a whole bunch of Cheerios that year, and I said "no". Still not sure if that was the right idea or not.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we all definitely should have bought hundreds of boxes each; the unopened boxes with a coin still inside are worth a lot of money. Most will have the cent inside, but, like OBW rolls of 1955 cents, will sell for a premium for the "maybe!" factor

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Another one sells for $670:

new linky
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a Cheerios cereal box, for $50 (plus shipping) I will X-ray it for you and let you know if it contains a dollar. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I for one am glad insanity no longer prevails in the coin collecting community. image
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file