Home Metal Detecting
Options

July 29, 2012: Loaded up on nickels - 5 Vs, 4 Buffs, 2WTN, 1903 Dime, 2 IHCs!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
And that's not all.

Been meaning to hit a nearby park for the past couple years, but just never got around to it. A friend at work told me she saw someone else detecting there, so out I went :-).

I was in the back of the park, and the other detectorist showed up at the front of the park. Would have been interesting to see what he pulled out. It seemed pretty evident someone detected there before due to the lack of "high pitched" signals such as dimes and quarters. However, there was an abundance of low tones (nickels, pull tabs, foil).

Started off with a silver leaf pendant (I assume it's sterling, but can't find a mark. will test shortly)
Then a couple wheats, then an IHC.
Somewhere in the mix I got a larger coin - at first I thought it could have been my first half cent, but nope. Thought it was some kind of token. Put that away, and not 30 seconds later I got a second one - but this one the back could be read - it was a canadian large cent!

Later on in the hunt I thought I had a copper Lincoln signal, but dug down and found a nail. This wasn't unheard of as the e-trac can give good signals on nails. As I'm putting the dirt back in I see a glint of silver. What the heck? Turns out to be a 1903 Barber dime, in pretty good shape. If I hadn't seen it, I probably would have never known it was there. What a relief it showed up!

Here's a recap of today's finds:
- Silver Leaf Pendant
- 1903 Barber Dime
- Two 1943-P War Nickels
- 1881 and Dateless Canadian Large Cents
- 5 V Nickels!! A one-day V nickel record for me! 1901?, 1903, 1906, 1907, 1912
- 4 Buffalo Nickels - 3 dateless and 1936
- 1888, 1906 Indian Head Cents
- 10 wheat cents (will spare you the dates)
- 4 buttons - one older flat, 1 older looking two-piece with flower, 2-piece with crown, and a new one
- 2 lead seals

Heading back out there tomorrow! HH all!!

Comments

• Options
    Very nice! Good mix of relics and coins! Good luck your next trip out. Looks like it could be very productive!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great day of detecting, I wish I could have one like that...been a while
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, man. I never get a haul like that, except on the rare occasions when I'm given the green light to hunt a particularly sweet, virgin site- and usually not even then. You obviously have some skills to go with your ample good luck. image

That park must not have been worked over TOO much! Awesome take, there. Congrats.

Somebody who's ex-military may be able to correct me, but I think that "silver leaf pendant" is a military rank badge, from somebody ranked Major.

Edit- nope- one grade higher than that. Lieutenant Colonel.

And probably from WW2 or earlier, if that's silver, which it appears to be. I don't know that they still make badges out of silver anymore, though perhaps they do for officers that high up the scale. Still, I kind of doubt it. When I found that Sterling silver WW2 paratrooper badge, I was told that those haven't been made in silver since at least WW2 or Korea at the latest. Dunno if that is true or not. The house I found that near was a USO post during WW2.

You seem to have had some officers wandering about, back in the day. And some early Boy Scouts, from one of your other badge finds.

I'd have to put badges and medals close behind coins as some of my favorite finds, just slightly above vintage buttons, which I also love. It's all good!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Geez, man. I never get a haul like that, except on the rare occasions when I'm given the green light to hunt a particularly sweet, virgin site- and usually not even then. You obviously have some skills to go with your ample good luck. image

That park must not have been worked over TOO much! Awesome take, there. Congrats.

Somebody who's ex-military may be able to correct me, but I think that "silver leaf pendant" is a military rank badge, from somebody ranked Major.

Edit- nope- one grade higher than that. Lieutenant Colonel.

And probably from WW2 or earlier, if that's silver, which it appears to be. I don't know that they still make badges out of silver anymore, though perhaps they do for officers that high up the scale. Still, I kind of doubt it. When I found that Sterling silver WW2 paratrooper badge, I was told that those haven't been made in silver since at least WW2 or Korea at the latest. Dunno if that is true or not. The house I found that near was a USO post during WW2.

You seem to have had some officers wandering about, back in the day. And some early Boy Scouts, from one of your other badge finds.

I'd have to put badges and medals close behind coins as some of my favorite finds, just slightly above vintage buttons, which I also love. It's all good! >>

WOW, thanks LORDM!! That looks like a match and it does test silver! Thank you for researching this - you're ripping it up with your detective work!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how the Major's badge appears to be gold, while the next rank up, Lt. Col., is silver? You'd think it would be the other way 'round, right? Hmm.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.