Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Met Jeff Conine Today

Went to the Marlins game today (We beat the Padres 5-4 in the bottom of the 10th)

Saw Conine there today. Hes one of 2 regular announcers for FSFlorida (Fox Sports Florida)

Use to be one of my favorite rookies back for 91 Upperdeck with the Royals and then joined the Marlins for their inaugural season back in 93 and was with them in 97 and in 2003 to help win both championships.

I know hes not a big name player but still, for me it was a pleasure to meet him.

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! I always loved him when he spent a good amount of time with the Orioles.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember there was a time where Conine wouldn't sign any 1995 All Star balls (he was the MVP). I wonder if that is still the case.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    I remember there was a time where Conine wouldn't sign any 1995 All Star balls (he was the MVP). I wonder if that is still the case.

Funny you mentioned that. I swear when I came up to him, he had this face on him like he didn't want to be bothered. Maybe he wasn't feeling good. Nobody was around waiting for him except me and it was well after the game. I asked if I can have my picture with him and I swear, he hesitated for a split second before replying with a "sure". I'm very happy he obliged but after seeing that he probably wasnt in the mood to, I didn't ask for an auto. I just said Thank You and he said your welcome and that was that.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a fan of the Marlins back in their beginnings and Conine was one of the players from that early team I collected. I always thought he was one of the good guys and a better than average player that never got the recognition outside of Miami that he deserved! Good stuff! image
  • Options
    Do you mind if I ask where at the stadium you caught up w/ Conine. I am going to the stadium for the first time in a few weeks and would like to get him and maybe Cliff Floyd if they're around.
  • Options
    I loved Conine. Growing up with Marlins spring training in my backyard he easily became one of my favorite players.
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    You know its funny...we met him at an event last year and he wasnt exactly friendly. It was odd....not that he was unpleasant but just sort of blah. I think its most likely just the way he is.
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Conine was great when he was in Kansas City. Would sign everything you put in front of him. He was always willing to talk with kids while getting autos. I feel he was an underrated player.
  • Options
    Do you mind if I ask where at the stadium you caught up w/ Conine. I am going to the stadium for the first time in a few weeks and would like to get him and maybe Cliff Floyd if they're around

When you go to the stadium, the FSFlorida booth is behind that god-awful looking marlins homerun statue. Believe me when I say you cant miss the thing. They do announcements BEFORE and RIGHT AFTER the game for about 30 min. Just stick around and wait till they're done. I waited till Conine was leaving the booth and that's when I walked up to him. Cliff Floyd has been there sometimes too. I would like to catch him too. This last game, I brought My 92 Topps Cliff Floyd rookie card to get signed but I didn't see him. Glad I caught Conine instead.