Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Curt Schilling make the HOF?

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
Had such good responses on the Smoltz thread that I thought I'd throw out another guy who I feel is right on the line. Big time strikeout pitcher including 2 seasons where he led the league, led the Dbacks to a series with RJ, great name recognition in baseball, 1 legendary moment with the sock.... But only 216 wins...And he bounced around baseball over his career rather than sticking with 1 or 2 teams.

Thoughts?
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    I hope so. He sure could use some good karma (unless you're a Yankee fan).

He's broke

I also think the state of Rhode Island gave his company a 75 million dollar loan that can not be repaid because his company is bankrupt.
    The taxpayers of Rhode Island are taking the brunt of this one. It's just like the Solandra fiasco. Government handouts to companies, and
    then the companies fail, and the taxpayers take the hit.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Schilling is a legend in Boston in regards to our World Series win, personally his mouth has annoyed me on a few occasions though.

I dont think HE is broke, his company went bankrupt and he lost 50 million I think but his personal assets are not liable to cover other losses from the failed business.

As far as the HOF I think he certainly deserves mention.
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

I think Schilling and Smoltz are borderline. They will both probably get in because of their stellar postseason performances.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    No
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭

<< <i>I think Schilling and Smoltz are borderline. They will both probably get in because of their stellar postseason performances. >>

+1
    Joel
  • Options
    After ripping off the gov't for $50 milliion and firing a couple hundred people? He's already in the Tea Party HOF (Advanced Economics Wing). Not so sure about Cooperstown.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely borderline. A lot of roids users on the ballot the next few years could help his cause. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>I think Schilling and Smoltz are borderline. They will both probably get in because of their stellar postseason performances. >>

Somewhere Jack Morris is crying.
  • Options

<< <i>

Somewhere Jack Morris is crying. >>

Who were the dominant postseason pitchers?

---------------W-L----ERA----Innings
    Morris -------7-4----3.80----92.1
    Smoltz------15-4----2.67----209
    Schilling----11-2----2.23----133.1

Joel
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Yep. And one of Schilling's two postseason losses was the first World Series game he pitched in 1993. After that he had a six game winning streak, followed by the one blowout loss to the Yankees in game one of the 2004 ALCS, then closed out with five more wins. In there, he also had a no-decision in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series against the Yankees in which Schlling pitched brilliantly, but had Roger Clemens pitching brilliantly against him. Also, Schill has the highest strikeout to walk ratio of any pitcher (1000 innings pitched minimum) of the last 125 years. He was a workhorse (Top 3 in Complete Games nine times), and while he never won the Cy Young Award, he finished second three times and fourth once. His WAR is 26th all-time. HOFer Jim Bunning isn't even close to Schilling.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to take the under on Schilling. Being a workhorse and having a high number of complete games is not very important IMO. Working against him: Very low win total for a guy who spent his entire career as a starting pitcher, never won a Cy Young (equates to...was never the best picther in his league for even 1 season). He was very good for a long time, but was not GREAT often and never the best. We'll see if the bloody sock video run again and again on ESPN will get him on enough ballots. But I don't think his numbers justify it. Close call though.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    As much as I do not care for the guy personally, his career speaks for itself. His Win total is relatively low, but I think everyone is getting past the fact that wins are not the "end all, be all" stat for pitchers the way the used to be.

If you look at pitching WAR, Schilling is higher than the following other "decent" pitchers, and is ranked 26th overall:
    Tom Glavine
    Carl Hubbell
    Jim Palmer
    Don Sutton
    Dennis Eckersley
    Don Drysdale
    Jim Bunning
    Joel
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>After ripping off the gov't for $50 milliion and firing a couple hundred people? He's already in the Tea Party HOF (Advanced Economics Wing). Not so sure about Cooperstown. >>

I haven't been following his situation that closely but that's not exactly what I've heard. Can you please expound on your comments or provide a reference that might explain it in more detail? >>

Schilling did not "Rip Off" Rhode Island. Schilling risked and lost $50 million of his own money.

If anything, the RI Governor may have screwed 38 Studios, the state, and 190 workers for not approving the tax abatements promised. Many think it was done purposely as a political move (the original state funding was approved by a prior governor). Their first video game was a success, and they needed the tax abatements to keep positive cash flow for their second game. So RI lost their $75 million investment and 190 or so jobs possibly because the RI governor did not like Schilling's politics.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Schilling did not "Rip Off" Rhode Island. Schilling risked and lost $50 million of his own money.

If anything, the RI Governor may have screwed 38 Studios, the state, and 190 workers for not approving the tax abatements promised. Many think it was done purposely as a political move (the original state funding was approved by a prior governor). Their first video game was a success, and they needed the tax abatements to keep positive cash flow for their second game. So RI lost their $75 million investment and 190 or so jobs possibly because the RI governor did not like Schilling's politics. >>

Uh, yeah, he did rip off the state. The company was so poorly run that they blew through well over $100m in cash (Schilling's $50m, $50m+ from Rhode Island plus all the other startup cash) and produced exactly one game. ONE. And that one game? They bought it from somebody else. The game they were trying to create wasn't any fun - their own employees didn't even play it. The company history is rife with wild spending, egos out of control, guys in positions where they were over their head, guys who simply weren't good at what they did, and nepotism.

How NOT to run a game company

Tabe
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Being a poor manager doesn't come close to equating with ripping off anyone. If it did, 80% of the country's executives would be liable for stealing from investors and various government jurisdictions. >>

You're right - taking $50m from the government and then never even releasing the product it was for isn't ripping off the state. At all. Nope. Not at all.

Tabe
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    No!