Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do collectors get the shaft at the National? Or the leftovers?

I was told the real action is on dealer setup days on Tuesday & Wednesday morning. By the time the doors open, the good stuff is long gone....

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    thanks for sharing news about a well-known tradition which has pretty much been the norm since they started having Nationals.

what's next on your agenda, rodent?
  • Options
    Don't taze me bro! I see all these posts about the National, what's the point of a card show if stuff has been picked over in advance?

You must be a dealer!!!!!! Hit a little too close to home for ya. image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I've been going to every type of collectible show since the 60s... it's been status quo since the 60s (and I suspect long before the 60s too). It's not specific to the Nationals.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    LOL, i've been on both sides Honey. image

walking the floor prior to the actual show is about as cool as it gets if you're already in with or as a dealer......it's a privilege to see stuff before everyone else does in an environment that is more or less an insider's paradise.

we picked up some nice deals before they opened the doors to the public.....of course, this was 20+ years ago when we did a string of Nationals as well as other major conventions, which incidentally were just like the National.

if you're a dealer and you're there on set-up day, that's where you can earn rewards before Average Joe walks in with his rolling dolly loaded with monster boxes and screwdowns. image
  • Options
    Goner - now that's quality info. Thanks! image
  • Options
    Who is we? You and rayter?
  • Options
    silly boy Maurice. no, you can start all the rumors you want to. i have no secrets and no shame.

if it makes you feel any better, child, i was part of the crew that got ROBBED at Anaheim.

that's right. robbed. every last card disappeared overnight. under the watchful eyes of hired trained professionals.

and still, somehow, a man's livelihood vanished into the night like a puff of cigarette smoke.

i didn't have much at stake at the time, other than the establishment of a trustworthy partnership that lasted a very long time.

those folks who really lost, i know them well. they recovered. i helped out. i was proud.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Thats the norm for any show however there is still plenty at the National.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Most of the good stuff isn't gone. It is just re-priced and at other tables.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Now Nick has it right!!
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the good stuff isn't gone. It is just re-priced and at other tables.

Nick >>

+1
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    I'd imagine that most of the items dealers bring are available on the net in some way shape or form. However, there are a few exceptions.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's too late to cancel my trip and get some of my money back.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd imagine that most of the items dealers bring are available on the net in some way shape or form. >>

...and I imagine at far better prices......with some numbered exceptions of course! LOL!
  • Options
    Repriced after its been graded
  • Options
    DrKDrK Posts: 58
    Leftovers, 4SC gets first dibs, grades anything that economics would remotely justify and then regurgitates the remainder of a thousand partial sets and lots of o/c EX-MT cards all over ebay. What is left by the time collectors arrive is whatever doesn't fit 4SC's mass grading program.
  • Options
    ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    Wow, thats a different take. 4SC roles in there with a lot of money during set up and buys up a ton of stuff in bulk from dealers before the crowds have a chance. I see it limited to complete sets if anything. I just dont see them having the time to go thru everything.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big deal if some of the stuff gets picked over. I am going to have a great time! Can't think of too many things that would be more fun than looking at cards and meeting people at the convention.

I haven't been to one in 10-15 years and can't wait to see if I can find some of the obscure items on my want list.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    If it is that good of a deal, then why not buy the smallest table/space and set up and walk the floors and make tons of money?
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY