Home Sports Talk
Options

Is John Smoltz a Hall of Famer?

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
Was having this discussion at lunch today with a few friends and we had mixed opinions. Conversation was...who from the 95 Braves WS team would wind up in the Hall. We had consenus that Greg Maddux and Chipper would both be in and we thought they both deserved to be 1st ballot. With Tom Glavine, we all also though he would make the Hall, but likely not in his first attempt.

We had disagreement on Smoltz. 2 of us thought he'd make it, 2 of us didn't. Its interesting because you have to evaluate his career as both a Starter and a Closer....and somehow combine those successes. Its not an easy comparison to other pitchers who've made it.

Thoughts?
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    Why so sure Glavine won't make it in his first attempt? He might be one of the last 300 game winners for a while so that might stick out in writers minds. Although, I haven't seen who his HOF class is...

I say yes to Smoltz too. I may be biased though?
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Smolts gets in
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Five from that team make it; Maddux, Chipper, Glavine, Smoltz, and Bobby Cox
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    Greg Maddux and David Justice were born on the same day.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love JS but I think not.

One 24 win season and that was his only 20+ season. His next highest total was 17 followed by a 16.

He was a very good starter and a very good reliever but it does not add up to HOF in my opinion. I think he just falls short.

I would love to see him get in just the same. He is a homeboy.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Five from that team make it; Maddux, Chipper, Glavine, Smoltz, and Bobby Cox >>

Cox is a lock too, Joey. How could I forget Bobby!!!
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    According to the Bill James HOF monitor, he will get in easily.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. What he did as a starter and as a closer, is remarkable. I would compare him to Eckersley in that regard--Smoltz had better success as a starter than Eck did, though Eck was a better closer.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    yes but probably will take a while.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>Yes. It's a shame that he couldn't be a Braves' lifer. He was so darn close. >>

I think 99% is close enough. The handful of starts Smoltz got with Boston and St. Louis have already been quickly forgotten. Braves fans consider Smoltz' a lifelong Brave....Thats very different than Braves fans attitude toward Glavine. There has been and always will be some animosity toward Glavine for leaving to play in Queens for a few million more per year. Glavine was a mercenary, Smoltz was not.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I believe that Glavine, Maddux, and Chipper get in on the first ballot. Cox gets in next year or whatever the first time a manager can go in. Smoltz may take a couple of times, but he gets in fairly quickly. And for my reach, yes... I believe that eventually, when all of the steroid era crap is sorted out, the Crime Dog (one of the good guys) will be enshrined in Cooperstown. So that will bring the total to six. This comes from someone that absolutely hates the Braves more than any other team. But, all that being said, those guys earned it.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that Glavine, Maddux, and Chipper get in on the first ballot. Cox gets in next year or whatever the first time a manager can go in. Smoltz may take a couple of times, but he gets in fairly quickly. And for my reach, yes... I believe that eventually, when all of the steroid era crap is sorted out, the Crime Dog (one of the good guys) will be enshrined in Cooperstown. So that will bring the total to six. This comes from someone that absolutely hates the Braves more than any other team. But, all that being said, those guys earned it. >>

If McGriff plays most of his career in New York, he is a first ballot HOF'er. If Smoltz plays most of his career in Seattle, he doesn't have a prayer. Just another flaw of the HOF.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

If McGriff plays most of his career in New York, he is a first ballot HOF'er. If Smoltz plays most of his career in Seattle, he doesn't have a prayer. Just another flaw of the HOF. >>

If Smoltz had played in Seattle, the Mariners' history would be quite different from what it is. Who knows what would have happened?
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he belongs in. He was dominant as a starter and a closer on a perennial playoff team throughout his career. How many pitchers can say that?
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>I for one would like to see Mussina in before Smotlz. >>

Two more seasons and he gets in easily.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Maybe.