Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Won't Give PL or DMPL to AU Morgans

As a collector, this is truly annoying. I was about to submit multiple Morgans that are graded AU58 PL from NGC and ANACS to PCGS to use in my Registry set. Unfortionately I get this:

"To designate a suffix, the minimum grade must be 60 or above (if applicable)."

So if a coin is not MS60 or above no PL or DMPL can be requested.

But the problem I have is that PCGS Has 5 AU58 PL or DMPL coins already in population.

And trying to email for clarification was a nightmare. Almost like they didn't even read my emails both times.

Can anyone on this forum help me out?

How do I submit a my Morgans to get the PL or DMPL desigantion from PCGS? There has to be a way.
Morgan Everyman Set
Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will give PL designations to MS60. I have seen the AU58PL grade but very seldomly.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977
    WTCG,

I have seen the AU58PL and even AU58DMPL on the PCGS Population Reports.

My problem is trying to figure out how to submit my AU58PL and AU58DMPL Morgans from NGC and ANACS to get into PCGS AU58PL/DMPL holders.

There has to be a way.
    Morgan Everyman Set
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they changed the criteria is what has happened those few are probably in very old holders now.
    Problems like this usually get handled best on the phone......1-800-447-8848 Don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get them to go PL or DMPL on anything I send in, including this one. I can bounce light of that thing and hit the moon, but no go when I tried to cross. 4 or 5 others as well, but that one is a no brainer. And yes, the reverse is as good.

• Options
    Please let us know when you get the answer. I do know proofs can be graded anything on the grading scale,but that is a totally different minting process than PL or DMPL coins.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this should be handled with PCGS via email NOT on the forum
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    PTVetter,

You are right. But my attempts to contact PCGS have failed and both Emails I recieved back don't address my questions. Now I was asking if anyone on here could help. Needless to say you probably missed the part on the orginal posting where I stated that already. But anyways, thanks for your response.
    Morgan Everyman Set
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your fighting a uphill battle just keeping the grade when doing crossovers the success at grade crosses is only like about forty percent let alone carrying any designations. A follow on question is the designation even used for scoring in the Everyman sets your working on. I don't know the answer as I mentioned in another post I did not see any of them while I was into them.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, at least you get PL/DMPL on MS Morgans. Us Trade Dollar guys get nothing! I've seen ridiculously mirrored trade dollars with frosty liberty and eagle, but nope, no DMPL for you.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, at least you get PL/DMPL on MS Morgans. Us Trade Dollar guys get nothing! I've seen ridiculously mirrored trade dollars with frosty liberty and eagle, but nope, no DMPL for you. >>

Funny!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WTCG,

I have seen the AU58PL and even AU58DMPL on the PCGS Population Reports.

My problem is trying to figure out how to submit my AU58PL and AU58DMPL Morgans from NGC and ANACS to get into PCGS AU58PL/DMPL holders.

There has to be a way. >>

Regardless of what the population reports state, they will not add the suffix so your best bet is to simply keep your coin in their current holders.

Either the coins were graded prior to this policy or the population data base is in error. Error grades and suffies occur quite frequently within the pop reports as demonstrated by this thread regarding MS69 1072 Type 2's and a single MS70 CnClad 1978 IKE.

This subject was also addressed regarding the RD designation on Lincoln Cents below a set grade level a few years back although I cannot find that particular thread.
    eMail Don Willis or David Hall. Both have email addresses on the PCGS Web page.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this should be handled with PCGS via email NOT on the forum >>

Dang . . . and I always thought, at least in part, that was what this forum is here for ! ? ! ? image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hmm. So a coin that is a 60, or a 61, can never have a plus because it is so lowly or nasty or however it was said that a 60 and 61 are not as....desirable...or did not warrant any further comment, but such a coin can be PL. A PL or DMPL strike is of the same method of manufacture as its BS brothers when compared to a Pr.
    I am imagining an 1881-P Morgan in obvious immutable MS60, but with super eye appeal and or contrast along with watery mirrors.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LAst time I saw a 58PL happen was about 2 years ago I believe on a 1891. I did ask some people at PCGS right after that if they were doing 58 PL's and my impression was they were not happy about the other slipping through as it seemed the policy was 58's should not get PL/DMPL.

I don't have any hard concrete answers on this, just know they are not common.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    It's quite an uphill battle, agreed! Even NGC who graded has graded 2.5+ million Morgans has only graded 47 AU58's DMPL! Here's one I just recently picked up........

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    You are correct the practice is to not assign pl and dmpl designations to AU morgans. I had owned one. The coin was accurately graded and definitely pl. I think the existing coins in the population reports are exceptions/mistakes and not the rule. In any case, they will not recognize them in the registry set even if you owned one. The topic has been mentioned several times with the same answer, no...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS makes the rules, so they can do what they want and change the rules if they want.
    All of us have a choice: Play; ask that they consider changing the rules; or go away.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i> >>

Now that is the most intelligent,wisest,diserning,articulate,coherent,and expressive comment all night! And all without a picture!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New rules and reasons can't change the past. We may not like them but we move on. Or move out.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Everyone thanks for your responses. I will try and call them later today.
    Morgan Everyman Set
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a photo of a Morgan in PCGS plastic below 60 with the pl or dmpl designation? I believe all are data entry errors of one type or another. I have seen many in the pop report and also seen the coins with their slab, but none had it designated on the slab, it just came up as pl or dmpl in the database when the cert number was entered.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have seen one and know one person who has to designated on the holder.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Everyone thanks for your responses. I will try and call them later today. >>

Send me an email, I'll get an answer for you. cthomas@collectors.com
    PCGS Customer Service
  • Options
    Email sent
    Morgan Everyman Set
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Since 1986 I have never seen a PCGS holdered Morgan below MS60 with the PL or DMPL designation. The Heritage auction archives also show no such coin in a PCGS holder, but plenty from NGC and a few from ANACS.
  • Options
    I've confirmed that we will not attribute a PL or DMPL suffix to a coin graded less than MS60. Any PCGS coin out there that does have it is considered a mechanical error and would need to be fixed.
    PCGS Customer Service
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSCustomerService said:
    I've confirmed that we will not attribute a PL or DMPL suffix to a coin graded less than MS60. Any PCGS coin out there that does have it is considered a mechanical error and would need to be fixed.

This post is almost 10 years old. Can you confirm that this is still the case?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 6:36AM

Then in that case I would most likely (avoiding downgrade) keep as is and price accordingly CPG or simply cost plus.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file