Home Precious Metals
Options

Postal Gold, yes or no

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Went to the pawn shop at lunch and no silver.

They had a 1oz postal gold, but I wasn't sure of it. Plain, but clean. They said it was a pure oz?
Anyone have experience with these? Sellable?

(they also has a larger, rougher 1.25 oz Mex coin. Just a quick look but was not familiar at all.
COA

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The postal gold is .900 fine, but contains either a full ounce of pure or a half ounce of pure.

They are very difficult to sell. We used to buy them in at 96% of melt and scrap them.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thank you so much.
    Considered going back, but just had some mental red flags. One of my primary flags - ez resell later.

<< <i>The postal gold is .900 fine, but contains either a full ounce of pure or a half ounce of pure.

They are very difficult to sell. We used to buy them in at 96% of melt and scrap them. >>

COA
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is easy to resell, but at less than spot price. How much were they asking?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mexican 50 Peso gold? If so, it is 90%/10% and 1.2057 oz of pure gold. They were first minted in
    1921 and they restruck with the 1947 date. Nice coin but maybe a few dollars over melt. No premium
    in my book.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    50 Peso. Yes, that's it. I looked it up on apmex and was surprised at the $20 premium.

ps, Captain. I never got to the price as they usually due pretty low of premium. He said that postal was pure gold, but didn't explain it.

<< <i>Mexican 50 Peso gold? If so, it is 90%/10% and 1.2057 oz of pure gold. They were first minted in
    1921 and they restruck with the 1947 date. Nice coin but maybe a few dollars over melt. No premium
    in my book.

bobimage >>

COA
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are 90% gold, but contain 1 full oz as other mentioned. Same here, best I can get is 4% shipping them , so when i buy em, I have to buy at 4% off that to make 4%. so keep that in mind when pricing.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never heard of "postal gold" before. Was it sold by the post office? Anyone have a pic to share?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>(they also has a larger, rougher 1.25 oz Mex coin. Just a quick look but was not familiar at all. >>

Be careful---the 50 Peso Mexican gold coins have been heavily counterfeited.

• Options

<< <i>I never heard of "postal gold" before. Was it sold by the post office? Anyone have a pic to share? >>

Look in the 2013 Red Book page 428/429
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I never heard of "postal gold" before. Was it sold by the post office? Anyone have a pic to share? >>

Look in the 2013 Red Book page 428/429 >>

So, we're talking about the American Arts Medals. I'm very familiar with them. Never heard them refered to as postal gold before now.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The American Arts Commission medals are often referred to as Postal gold because they were marketed by the Postal Service through subscription instead of directly from the U.S. Mint. The Mint wanted to have nothing to do with them. Mint officials actually battled with the Congressional subcommittee over the whole concept, and lost.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>The American Arts Commission medals are often referred to as Postal gold because they were marketed by the Postal Service through subscription instead of directly from the U.S. Mint. The Mint wanted to have nothing to do with them. Mint officials actually battled with the Congressional subcommittee over the whole concept, and lost. >>

I remember all that. Since they were bullion coins the payment had to be postmarked within a specified time frame for the price to be honored.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the less popular US gold types. To me that means Arts Medallions plus $5 and $10 commemoratives.

My stash includes many Arts Medallions purchased when click-through rebate programs and ebay bucks could be used for bullion via ebay. Those programs made it possible to shave 5% off your purchases. IMO the Arts Medallions are still worth buying today provided you buy them right.