Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Wax Pack Grading and Guarantee

If you look at the pack below, it appears to have gum rips to the right of "5c", underneath the second "Y" in "MYSTERY QUIZ", to the right of the last "E" in "NATIONAL LEAGUE" and maybe a small tear to the left of the football. What is the maximum grade for a pack with tear(s) and does PSA guarantee wax packs if the develop gum tears after they've been slabbed? If this pack is in a PSA 8 holder and the maximum grade for a pack with 3-4 tears is a PSA 6, would PSA make you whole?

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that if you send the pack back to psa they will reholder at lower grade and refund you for difference in value between grades. Unless you have several packs to send back its probably not cost effective to return ship.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    That's a shame when it happens to a not so common pack. If it was a 72 topps no big deal , but quality vintage, bummer ....

I believe they have changed the way they holder the packs recently to try to prevent this from happening as it is very common
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It is a shame... it's in a PSA 8 holder and according to the grading standards, the highest this pack could grade is a PSA 6:

PSA EX-MT 6: Excellent-Mint
    A PSA EX-MT 6 pack is a pack that exhibits similar attributes to a PSA NM 7 but it may possess one or more of the following flaws: wear may be present on all four corners and/or the pack may show light tearing on multiple corners. In addition, the pack may exhibit light tears on the edges of the wrappers, wrinkles on the surface of the wax/cellophane wrapper along with other types of small surface defects. The reverse seal may have soiling or toning as a result of water or mildew damage, as long as it is not deemed severe. The gum or wax wrapper can begin to show bleeding or soiling through the wrapper, but it must be limited to the size of the gum.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>My understanding is that if you send the pack back to psa they will reholder at lower grade and refund you for difference in value between grades. Unless you have several packs to send back its probably not cost effective to return ship. >>

Tim ... are you sure of this? That puts PSA at a LOT of risk. Who is to say that the pack was not "roughed up", dropped, used as a hammer, etc... It does not take too much "shaking" of the pack to rip a hole in it from the movement of the gum.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My understanding is that if you send the pack back to psa they will reholder at lower grade and refund you for difference in value between grades. Unless you have several packs to send back its probably not cost effective to return ship. >>

Tim ... are you sure of this? That puts PSA at a LOT of risk. Who is to say that the pack was not "roughed up", dropped, used as a hammer, etc... It does not take too much "shaking" of the pack to rip a hole in it from the movement of the gum. >>

CU does with other graded cards and coins, they should with packs.

Anyone that ever had one of these understands it was not "roughed up". You cant mail them without the wrapper getting torn if the pack includes gum or the like. They were just poorly designed.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Tim ... are you sure of this? That puts PSA at a LOT of risk. Who is to say that the pack was not "roughed up", dropped, used as a hammer, etc... It does not take too much "shaking" of the pack to rip a hole in it from the movement of the gum. >>

Yes, I know people who have done it. Fritsch has also sold downgraded 73s this way recently .

It would definitely NOT be cost effective to do that though as retail value difference is greater than what psa would grant.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.