Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1959 Fleer Ted Williams Wax Box RIP

Let's see... $19,000 minus 10% equals $17,100 divided by 24 packs equals $712.50 per pack (2 pack limit).

Who's in? image

1959 Fleer Ted Williams Wax Box

A common PSA 8 is $28. You get 6 cards per pack = $168

A common PSA 9 is $100 = $600

Card #68 will pay for the pack in PSA 8

Cards #1, #68 and #80 will pay for the pack in PSA 9

There are 80 cards in the set...

Who's in? image
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    There was a discussion about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of ripping this box when BBCE got it back in June:

Previous Thread
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I wasn't on this forum in June... who would have thought someone had already suggested this RIP. image

It's good to know #68 isn't in the 6 card packs.

I'm surprised Steve hasn't already slabbed these in PSA plastic. They'd probably sell for $800-$1,200 in PSA 8-9.
  • Options
    Should be a $3000 box.
  • Options

<< <i>Should be a $3000 box. >>

So $19,000 minus $3,000 equals $16,000 minus 10% equals $14,400 divided by 24 packs equals $600

Who's in? image
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    While this wax box is indeed rare, at the current price, it is not priced to sell. Like someone else stated, it should be around a $3,000 box. Not sure what the seller is thinking - maybe it is worth the bloated price to keep the item intact? I
  • Options
    According to the SMR, the value for a PSA 8 wax pack is $750 and a PSA 9 is $1,100. If they were all PSA 8s, the box value would be $18K and if the were all 9s, $26.4K. The SMR is low for wax packs so the actual value would probably be closer to $900 for an 8 ($21.6K) and $1,250 for a 9 ($30K). That's why I'm a little surprised Steve hasn't already submitted this box to PSA. A PSA 10 would probably bring $2K.

If this were a $3K box, you'd be able to purchase a PSA 8 on eBay for $150 and a PSA 9 for $200... good luck with that! image
  • Options

<< <i>If this were a $3K box, you'd be able to purchase a PSA 8 on eBay for $150 and a PSA 9 for $200... good luck with that >>

I see your point. However, if you busted the pack open and got all PSA 8's, then you have $120 worth of cards. If you got all PSA 9's (highly unlikely, but you never know), then you have $480 worth of cards. The numbers for the sealed pack and the broken pack are not jiving up.
  • Options
    A 1952 Topps wax pack sold for $20,000. Not sure how many cards are in a nickel pack... maybe 8? A common PSA 8 is $250. 8 x $250 = $2,000. That's an $18,000 delta; and you thought the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams sealed pack and the broken pack didn't jive up. image
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If this were a $3K box, you'd be able to purchase a PSA 8 on eBay for $150 and a PSA 9 for $200... good luck with that >>

I see your point. However, if you busted the pack open and got all PSA 8's, then you have $120 worth of cards. If you got all PSA 9's (highly unlikely, but you never know), then you have $480 worth of cards. The numbers for the sealed pack and the broken pack are not jiving up. >>

That's why you don't open a pack like that. I have no interest in those cards anyway. My dad has a registry set and I've only seen the first card. I just don't care. But I would love an unopened pack. It's just a different collectible and the sealed pack is much more rare than the cards you are likely to pull. It's still a lottery ticket too and if you got a Psa 10 or two, you would come out ahead. Terrible odds, but it's part of the price.

I should also add that opening packs is always a losing battle. Current packs are just terrible in terms of value once opened. People that open their packs are paying for the fun of doing it in addition to the lottery ticket. I don't walk away with any money if I go see a movie, but I hopefully had a good time. I lost the ticket price though. Your math shows just how expensive it would be to have the fun of opening a Ted Williams Fleer pack. Bill gate, rip away. Most people will keep the rare item sealed.

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>

I should also add that opening packs is always a losing battle. . >>

I understand what you're saying, but that's not always true.

A fellow board member ran a group rip about six months ago. I bought four packs (cost me $350). Sent in 10 cards (grading was $100).
    A PSA 10 I got from that rip sold for $1,275.00 on ebay(It was a 1/1 of a rookie). All the other graded cards brought in another $575.00.

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    You're right. "Always" was the wrong word and that's the whole lottery ticket aspect I was talking about. Sometimes you win. I just think if you play enough, most will lose in the end. Personally I need to come up with some big hits to make up for the collective rips I've had in my life. I don't think I'm alone there.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Please do this.

So I can do this: image
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    Makes me wonder if Allen ever got his pack. image
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Some vintage boxes you just don't open....a similar one would be '60 Leaf.

I think those Ted Williams packs use to be $400-500 in the 90's. Probably a little bit of a premium now, given how rare any unopened 50's box is.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A 1952 Topps wax pack sold for $20,000. Not sure how many cards are in a nickel pack... maybe 8? A common PSA 8 is $250. 8 x $250 = $2,000. That's an $18,000 delta; and you thought the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams sealed pack and the broken pack didn't jive up. image >>

Pretty sure that's because you can pull a $10,000 to $20,000+ raw card from that set. What's the best raw pull from the Williams set, $50 to $100+?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A 1952 Topps wax pack sold for $20,000. Not sure how many cards are in a nickel pack... maybe 8? A common PSA 8 is $250. 8 x $250 = $2,000. That's an $18,000 delta; and you thought the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams sealed pack and the broken pack didn't jive up. image >>

'52 packs go for $5k-8k max. Just because a sale was reported does not mean it was legit. Often times an item gets "sold" in an auction to establish a level for when that same item is offered a few auctions later. This has certainly been the case with a few '52 packs over the last few years.
    Anytime an auction house won't let vcp report its sales it's usually because they don't want those "sales" tracked.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I love how all of you talk about these box rips like the quality control in the 50's is like 2012 Topps. Hilarious
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love how all of you talk about these box rips like the quality control in the 50's is like 2012 Topps. Hilarious >>

I love how you think anyone gives a crap about what you have to say.

• Options
    LOL!! Well put sportscardtheory. Of course, SOME members might like the crap that the ALT's stir up!
  • Options
    celloscellos Posts: 128 ✭✭

<< <i>

'52 packs go for $5k-8k max. Just because a sale was reported does not mean it was legit. Often times an item gets "sold" in an auction to establish a level for when that same item is offered a few auctions later. This has certainly been the case with a few '52 packs over the last few years.
    Anytime an auction house won't let vcp report its sales it's usually because they don't want those "sales" tracked. >>

Are you saying the memory lane auction was fake? I think they sold a PSA 8 at $21,000 and a GAI 7 at $15,000. I Believe I saw a 6 or something several months back go for over $10,000 on another auction house but I can't recall which one.

If anyone has one to sell at $5,000 I will take it.