Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

WTB, 19th century papal silver annual medals

I was looking over my papal annual medal set and thought someone on CU might have one (or more) of the SILVER annual medals I'm looking for. A few of these are replacements for bronzes but generally they are years I don't have. They don't need to be FDC, but nice condition with minimal, or better no, rim nicks:

Pius IX years 22, 25
Gregory XVI years 2, 4, 12, 14
Leo XII years 1 & 2
Pius VII years 1 thru 5, 7, 8, 15, 16, 20, 23
Camerlingo Sede Vacante medals 1903 & before

Thanks for taking a look.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!

Comments

• Options

I notice this is an old post from 2012... But I am on the verge of selling my Papal Medal collection of 75 medals. Many of these were bought in international auctions and some I even traveled to Rome to acquire.
    But now with eight grandchildren I am settling in for my winter years and will be looking to sell.
    If you are still collecting Papal Medals from the mint of Rome, let me know what you are looking for. If not, thanks for your time.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2022 10:43AM

@bigdaddycarbide said:
    I notice this is an old post from 2012... But I am on the verge of selling my Papal Medal collection of 75 medals. Many of these were bought in international auctions and some I even traveled to Rome to acquire.
    But now with eight grandchildren I am settling in for my winter years and will be looking to sell.
    If you are still collecting Papal Medals from the mint of Rome, let me know what you are looking for. If not, thanks for your time.

Thanks for reaching out. It appears that stuff does live forever on the internet.

Yes, altho my primary interest is US National Banknotes, I still actively collect papal medals. I still "need" several silver Annuales to finish the run from the early 1800s to date. I use the more up to date 2 volume Modesti catalog which is different than Rinaldi in a few cases altho it's easy to cross reference the two references. My specific "wants" (these 8 dates are wanted only in silver):

Pius VII: Anno 1 Arch; Anno 7 Abundance; Anno 16 kneeling figure, Anno 4 Moneta; Anno 5 Ceres; Anno 20 architecture; Anno 23 Int Pio Museum
    Leo XII Anno 1 election, St Peter

In addition, I am actively seeking Camerlingo medals for many Sede Vacantes before 1900, preferably in silver altho AE will be considered for several dates. Pre-1800 Annuales and Camerlingo medals, again preferably in silver, may also be of interest.

Please PM me if you might have something of interest and thanks again.

edited to add: one more recent medal of interest is the 82 mm bronze medal commemorating the opening of the new entrance to the Vatican Museum. This is a "straordinarie" not an Annuale and was only issued in bronze as far as I can tell.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you use Paypal for Papal medals? :o

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what these are. Now about posting a couple of pictures if you have time? Thanks.

• Options
    edited July 22, 2022 11:51AM

@Glen2022 said:
    I have no idea what these are. Now about posting a couple of pictures if you have time? Thanks.

I don't have much of my collection imaged, but here's a better silver annuale medal from year 18 (~1818), of Pius VII. This is an ongoing series and I'm waiting to hear from a friend in Italy about this year's (2022) which should have been distributed on the Feast Day of Saints Peter and Paul (June 29).

There's a lot of information online about these and other Vatican/Papal medals which can be found with a quick Google search.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! Beautiful! It is amazing the number of "specialties" that one can get involved with in coin collecting. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2022 2:48PM

@Glen2022 said:
    Wow! Beautiful! It is amazing the number of "specialties" that one can get involved with in coin collecting. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. They can be amazing and even some of the designs in the 1960s are incredible. Altho criticized by some with more traditional preferences, the designs were very "modern" and in sync with the times. More recently - say the last 10 or 15 years - designs seem to have suffered, many ranging from uninspired at best to awful in a few cases. I feel obliged to keep my set up to date however and last year was better so maybe the trend has turned around.

• Options

@STLNATS said:

@bigdaddycarbide said:

Thanks for reaching out. It appears that stuff does live forever on the internet.

Yes, altho my primary interest is US National Banknotes, I still actively collect papal medals. I still "need" several silver Annuales to finish the run from the early 1800s to date. I use the more up to date 2 volume Modesti catalog which is different than Rinaldi in a few cases altho it's easy to cross reference the two references. My specific "wants" (these 8 dates are wanted only in silver):

Pius VII: Anno 1 Arch; Anno 7 Abundance; Anno 16 kneeling figure, Anno 4 Moneta; Anno 5 Ceres; Anno 20 architecture; Anno 23 Int Pio Museum
    Leo XII Anno 1 election, St Peter

In addition, I am actively seeking Camerlingo medals for many Sede Vacantes before 1900, preferably in silver altho AE will be considered for several dates. Pre-1800 Annuales and Camerlingo medals, again preferably in silver, may also be of interest.

Please PM me if you might have something of interest and thanks again.

edited to add: one more recent medal of interest is the 82 mm bronze medal commemorating the opening of the new entrance to the Vatican Museum. This is a "straordinarie" not an Annuale and was only issued in bronze as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, the Leo XII silver medal I have is Anno IV, fountain.
    And I only have bronze versions of your other listings.
    But thanks for taking your time.

• Options

@bigdaddycarbide said:

Unfortunately, the Leo XII silver medal I have is Anno IV, fountain.
    And I only have bronze versions of your other listings.
    But thanks for taking your time.

Thanks for following up.

Good luck with your medals.