Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bowman Platinum look pretty nice this year

Stopped by the LCS at lunch to grab a couple boxes of Ginter but decided to get 1 Platinum and 1 Ginter instead

Kinda glad I did - nothing good in Ginter but got these in the Platinum:

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Are those foil or chrome?

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    These guys get paid serious money to sign these cards, the least they could do is put their whole name.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Nice box!
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These guys get paid serious money to sign these cards, the least they could do is put their whole name. >>

Mr 7;7 takes offense to that.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I just bought a half case - my first modern buy since the 80's - I was in a shop over weekend and guy sold me a couple of packs and I was hooked - not sure if I should bust them all or not? Thoughts or suggestions welcome.
  • Options
    Hi zep33
    Is that a dent above Bryce's right shoulder? I pulled that base card and have a small dent in exact same place. Wonder if it was a production issue. Would make a mint+ card tought to come by.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    The amount of Platinum I bought this year... and the cards do look great... the majority all have surface issues (IE. little dents, like they printed them off on a dirty roller with little bits of small rock in it)... 10's, if PSA knocks down on the surface dents... will be tough to come by in this product!
  • Options
    guys - what do i do with a half case??? is this stuff my next 87 topps BB or 92 Upper Deck Football?
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>guys - what do i do with a half case??? is this stuff my next 87 topps BB or 92 Upper Deck Football? >>

Bust it, there are some mega hits in it and the rookies are hot now. If you wait it will cool off and you won't get top dollar for the prospect autos.

Also it is nice looking
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    What's a better "newer" wax choice, Bowman Platinum or Allen & Ginter? I've bought a little of both. No big hits yet in either. Bought a couple blaster boxes of the Bowman Platinum.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi zep33
    Is that a dent above Bryce's right shoulder? I pulled that base card and have a small dent in exact same place. Wonder if it was a production issue. Would make a mint+ card tought to come by. >>

I'll have to take a closer look when I get home

My Trout has some dents on it too - I listed it on Ebay this morning, described the defects and put a pic up circling the dents. How much to bet the buyer still complains?

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Surface issues revisited?!?!?!

I bought lots (figuratively & literally) of Harper, Cespedes, Darvish, Trout & Pujols of these on eBay. I had many, many, many I thought weren't gradable... in fact, all my Trout's weren't gradable... so none were ever sent in.

Centering is kind of tough as is, finding cards that look well centered based on the bottom design (IE. where the color loops rise/fall on the sides & spacing on the bottom)... and the surface issues, already discussed at some length here.

The rest of my submission, which popped today, was on par with expectations... but I had these standouts (all I thought were the best of my best... possible 10's). Here are the results from all the Bowman Platinum's I put in my sub...

2 1 20416684 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 2012 BOWMAN PLATINUM 21 YOENIS CESPEDES Card
    3 1 20416685 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2012 BOWMAN PLATINUM 9 YU DARVISH Card
    5 1 20416688 MINT 9 2012 BOWMAN PLATINUM 56 BRYCE HARPER Card
    5 2 20416689 MINT 9 2012 BOWMAN PLATINUM 56 BRYCE HARPER Card
    23 1 20416708 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 2012 BOWMAN PLATINUM 68 ALBERT PUJOLS Card

Not good! Nice, shiny looking product... extremely tough to call a gradable product though... lesson learned image
  • Options
    This product totally fudged up my 2012!
    Sorry your results weren't better. I have a whole stack I'll just sit on.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Newer stuff like this looks nicer w/o the slab anyway.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

@mattinglymint23 said:
    guys - what do i do with a half case??? is this stuff my next 87 topps BB or 92 Upper Deck Football?

How much for it?

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Jason197878 said:

@mattinglymint23 said:

How much for it?

Welcome to the forum buddy

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jason197878 said:

@mattinglymint23 said:

How much for it?

Hiya Jason

Welcome!

Unless ya got a time machine?

That ship's sailed buddy.

Mike