Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help identifying ancient coin

I am trying to identify this coin from my Grandfather's collection. Most of his collection was marked but not this one.
I have no idea what it is, can someone please help me? Also if anyone has any idea the current market price on something like this?
Thank you for the help-
Charlie

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks cast, a fake. Of what I dunno.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks cast, a fake. Of what I dunno. >>

Looks like the above, but of a Bactrian coin.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Reminds me of a Hobo nickel, in a way.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Fantasy item. I recall this being listed somewhere before. The piece really doesn't tie to any greek type that I'm aware of.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a "fantasy", though a fantasy design that's been around for at least a hundred years. The obverse is very loosely based on a coin of the Seleukid dynasty; the inscription is rather blundered Greek "BASILEW SELEUKOU", King Seleukus. However, Seleukid kings never wore a spiky crown like that (it's more Armenian-looking), Seleukid coins always had the inscription on the reverse, not the obverse, and the "herd of pigs" - or maybe they're supposed to be elephants, they're so badly engraved its hard to tell - is totally unlike anything seen on a genuine Seleukid coin. Here's one of several examples in the FORVM Fakes Database.

<< <i>Reminds me of a Hobo nickel, in a way. >>

I've always thought these "pig coins" looked tooled, like a Hobo nickel. It's entirely possible that the very first examples were genuine but very well worn ancient coins that had had this design retooled onto them. But this example has all the characteristics of a cast copy.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Sapyx, EXCELLENT linkage! That is a great website for any collector to have in their internet bookmarks. Thanks for sharing.

To Charlie Crump: Regarding value ... the link that Sapyx posted says "AR?" implying it may be silver (Argentum; Latin for silver). How heavy is your coin? Are you familiar with the methods of identifying composition? Since it's a fake, I don't think you need to worry about harming the coin itself, to test its metal content...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Thank You to everyone for your help!
    Any further thoughts/ info are appreciated.

LochNESS:
    I am not familiar w/ the testing methods, any info you can give me would be great.
    The coin weight 21 grams.
  • Options
    Well...

If the coin is magnetic, it is not silver.

If the edge of the coin has other colors (like the edge of US quarters; a copper stripe) then it isn't silver.

Silver coins "ring" a particular way when dropped or struck.

Silver has a sheen / luster / glare that is very unique and *usually* easily distinguishable from nickel, aluminum, steel and zinc. Silver-clad coins may be an exception to this method, however, I have never heard of a silver-clad coin. Only silver-clad medals and fakes.

Measure the diameter, compare to weight; compare those figures to the weights of well-known silver coins of the same diameter.

I don't think your coin looks like silver but since the website said "AR?" you might wanna investigate. I'm sure other members will have more suggestions on determining the composition of a coin...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of a silver-clad coin

40% Kennedy half (and maybe a few other contemporary darkside issues such as the Panama 1/2 balboa which I think was struck on the same blank); at least the one I carry as a pocket piece has a copper stripe on the edge.

Thanks for the link Sapyx. I knew I'd seen these somewhere. The surface looks porous so agree it looks like a base metal casting.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Oh that's right! I have three rolls of later Kennedy halves, too. Forgot about them. Thought the Balboas were either Ag or Cu-Ni not clad. Had a silver Balboa once in ANACS slab (could not see the edges).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are pigs?

They look more like sheep. Like somebody's counting sheep. imageimage

I knew it was a fantasy when the obverse picture finally loaded, but I saw the pig-sheep reverse first, and briefly thought, "oh, man, that's a cool design I've never seen before."

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.