Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

USPS Issue--Package delivered 2 hours after carrier picks it up?

I have a very strange USPS issue that I was hoping someone had some insight on before I try to take care of it tomorrow.

My mail carrier comes in to see me every day and takes whatever packages I have with her. I print all of my labels with Paypal with the addresses automatically filled in.

Monday, July 23rd, at around 12:00 PM, I gave her, among other things, a $200 set shipped in a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box that was insured with DC that was traveling from Cranston, RI, to Indiana.

My son was bored tonight, so he was looking at tracking numbers of items we have sent out, and noticed that USPS says the following about that tracking number:

YOUR LABEL NUMBER
SERVICE
STATUS OF YOUR ITEM
DATE & TIME
Priority Mail®
Delivered
July 23, 2012, 2:31 pm
CRANSTON, RI 02920
Delivery Confirmation™
Insured
Electronic Shipping Info Received
July 23, 2012

So my set was delivered in my zip code approximately 2 hours after I gave it to the mail carrier and has not been heard from since?

What gives?

All of the other items I gave her that day were scanned as "accepted" at the Cranston post office shortly after 6:00 PM.

I know for a fact that there was no confusion in the address on the Paypal label and that, somehow, a Cranston, RI address printed instead of the Indiana address because mail can never be delivered the same day--it MUST go to the processing center, then get sent back out, even if I am mailing a letter from my house to the house directly next door. Therefore, even if this package hypothetically had a Cranston, RI address, it would have had to go to the Cranston post office, then to the Providence, RI processing center, then sent back to the Cranston post office the next day to be sent out for delivery.

Luckily, the buyer has not noticed this issue yet, so I have time to figure it out before too much time passes and he starts asking where it is...

Am I safe to assume that, in the worst-case scenario that the item was delivered in my zip code to some dishonest person who just kept the set, I will be able to file and win a USPS insurance claim because the item was "scanned" in their system?
Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Options
    It looks like your mailman accidentally scanned the package as delivered instead of "accepted." I had this happen in the exact same way once before and unfortunately the tracking never updated again after this. In my case it was a low priced item so I didn't worry much and the buyer was honest and left feedback without even knowing the dilemma. I would recommend calling USPS and see if they can help you with your situation since it was a fairly valuable item.
  • Options
    I just noticed that you did have insurance on it. If I remember correctly anything over $199 does require a signature upon delivery?? Perhaps this can help you with proof of delivery if it comes down to it.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I went to the post office this morning and spoke with a supervisor.

On his intranet system, he saw that it was scanned as delivered on Monday, but then proceeded to go out for processing and is on the way to Indiana. Someone scanned the package as "delivered" instead of "accepted" (just like stangrider said!!!).

The online system the public uses stops at a "delivered" scan, but the intranet system tracks the package all the way through.

So, as long as the buyer is honest about receiving it, there should not be an issue.

Just wanted to update this in case anyone else ever runs into this issue.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro