Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mind if I start a bust quarter thread?

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
Hoping to start a thread that is more tell than show. Post what you've got, and tell us a little about it.

This one I bought a little while ago from SHC. Nice original-ish coin if a tad dark, which I like, since it makes the devices pop. This coin represents the B2 variety. Denoted by what is commonly referred to as the O/F, which is simply put a doubling of the "United States of America." The most obvious pick-up-point for the doubling is the remnants of an extra "A" in the field between "Of" and "America." This is the only reverse (which also appears on an 1834) where the eagle is completely redesigned. If you compare this reverse to any other reverse for the small diameter you will note the obvious differences between the two. In my experience it is much tougher to find the B2 as opposed to the B1 (unless you are specifically looking for an early state B1.) It always has a clashed obverse and die rust. It makes the coin an interesting marriage because the obverse is heavily rusted and clashed, while the reverse is devoid of such "issues."

1833, PCGS XF40, B2

Comments

• Options
    Here's the 1834 that shares the same reverse.

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were not the first capped bust quarters I bought but they were the most significant because their purchase signified my total dedication towards collecting a complete set. These were previously owned by Dale Ayers and I bought them from the fine gentlemen at CRO, who were responsible for the sale of his collection at the time. They actually talked me out of one particular coin which they believed was somewhat overpriced. By not buying that one coin, I was able to snap up these two. Both are B2 varieties.

JH
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, great coins
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    who would mind looking at some bust quarters ?? eagleguy, that 1835 is a MONSTER !
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some nice quarters indeed. hope to see some more.

billet you can post as many as you like image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sweet examples...you all are making it tough not secure a couple examples for my collection too...image

"MORE PLEASE"
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins...I love Bust Quarters...wish I had more $$$$ so I could collect them too!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Nice stuff EagleGuy, but you already knew that! (I'm sure I've told you on more than one occasion image) Here's my 1837, purchased on Ebay with bad pics. Turned out to be a great price for a nicely original coin. Can't rememeber the Browning number at the moment, but it isn't rare. Second pic is her little sister. image

• Options
    any more to contribute?

i don't have anything but i sure enjoy being a lookie-loo

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>Thanks everyone! Nice stuff EagleGuy, but you already knew that! (I'm sure I've told you on more than one occasion image) Here's my 1837, purchased on Ebay with bad pics. Turned out to be a great price for a nicely original coin. Can't rememeber the Browning number at the moment, but it isn't rare. Second pic is her little sister. image

image >>

I love these also! AU bust quarters have an amazing look.

JH
  • Options
    I can keep this thread going for a while, I'm just not sure too many people care much. (Judging by the meager responses.)

Here's the 1832, only two varieties for the year, neither one is scarce. I believe this is the B2, but I could be mistaken. I don't remember exactly off the top of my head. Since neither is scarce I haven't commited them to memory.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

• Options

<< <i>(Judging by the meager responses.) >>

i've been itching for someone to say something like this for a while so i can say this image

"the success of a thread should not be gauged by the amount of responses it does or does not receive. one cannot know how far reaching the ripples of effect go for better or for worse"

when i go do positive things for the world i learned VERY early on to just it and enjoy i have what it takes to do it and if some good comes from it, then that is even better.

i can makes some extremely awesome points in this realm but shall not unless requested.

post as many as you dare as there are at least a few capped fans around here and it is no secret man is a visual creature.

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hoping to start a thread that is more tell than show. Post what you've got, and tell us a little about it.

This one I bought a little while ago from SHC. Nice original-ish coin if a tad dark, which I like, since it makes the devices pop. This coin represents the B2 variety. Denoted by what is commonly referred to as the O/F, which is simply put a doubling of the "United States of America." The most obvious pick-up-point for the doubling is the remnants of an extra "A" in the field between "Of" and "America." This is the only reverse (which also appears on an 1834) where the eagle is completely redesigned. If you compare this reverse to any other reverse for the small diameter you will note the obvious differences between the two. In my experience it is much tougher to find the B2 as opposed to the B1 (unless you are specifically looking for an early state B1.) It always has a clashed obverse and die rust. It makes the coin an interesting marriage because the obverse is heavily rusted and clashed, while the reverse is devoid of such "issues."

1833, PCGS XF40, B2

image >>

Love that clashed obverse. Thanks for starting the thread!
  • Options
    123 cents, that is a fantastic 1815, much nicer than my example, though they aren't far apart gradewise.

Only variety for the date, and though not excessivly rare, this date is prone to hoarding and "first year" collectors, so they are tough to locate at times. This one has seriously clashed dies.

Lance, I completely agree with your comments but by the same token it's hard to get excited about trying to stimulate discussions/share knowledge/coin images/etc. when there's no back and forth. So thanks for being the guy who responds! image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a half dozen that were part of the Roger Solomon collection, auctioned last year at the Chicago ANA. They're not mine...just the images. I'm an admirer but not a bust quarter collector (yet?).

They are:
    1815 PCGS AU58
    1819 small 9 PCGS AU55
    1824/2 PCGS AU53
    1825/3 PCGS AU55
    1828 25/50 PCGS XF40
    1836 PCGS AU58

Sorry I can't share more about them.
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Lance, I completely agree with your comments but by the same token it's hard to get excited about trying to stimulate discussions/share knowledge/coin images/etc. when there's no back and forth. >>

i agree. the back and forth is better for sure

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>123 cents, that is a fantastic 1815, much nicer than my example, though they aren't far apart gradewise.

Only variety for the date, and though not excessivly rare, this date is prone to hoarding and "first year" collectors, so they are tough to locate at times. This one has seriously clashed dies.

image >>

I have two 1815s. This first one is a VG8 with a CirCam look

and I upgraded to a VG10 when I found this colorful example

LOVE Billet's 1832, Lance's 1836 (the others are knockouts also), and fivecent's 1831!

JH
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice bust quarters all image
  • Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    Here is one I just got from a Heritage auction.
    This B-4 has the same reverse as Lances B-2.
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    This variety has been downgraded to R5-. It is the rarest 1819 variety, and difficult to find above XF. You might be able to see the thin crack starting below star 1 & connects outside points of S1-S6.

Obverse 1: Star 1 points to upper drapery fold. Left side of 9 is under the curl. Large 9.

Reverse I: S3 is under the left side of S2. Scroll starts between ED. Flat base 2.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    imageimage

This is one I passed on. PCGS AU58. The strike is not as even as I would like around the stars, but looks MS to me in person. Still need to find an AU one for my set.
    MY SET
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file