Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I hate to buy first, and then ask questions...but I did: Collection of Israel State Medals?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
These are large sized medals, about 1/4" thick, from the 60's. The store owner offered me all 40 for $4 each and I took it.

I'm either a sucker or made out good.....off to ebay to try and find out.

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, call me a sucker.

I may be able to break even or maybe make a little.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool!
    pics seems small but these are 59mm medals you bet they are worth 4 bucks each.
    Good luck
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I really like these and have a bunch, altho mostly in silver. They're historical and usually have super, well executed designs. $4 each seems like a real steal to me. Wish I'd been there first!

Be sure to link your sales to the BST forum so we have a chance too!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I think that if these medals have meaning to you and that they are part of your collection and not your portfolio, they don't need to be questioned. Just enjoy them and their meaning.
    Paul
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    They look like MACO ... check the edge for Medallic Art Co ... bronze ... there was a very similar series (right down to the white paper envelopes) done by a society in New York honoring famous artists and sculptors. They're now worth $10 each. On that basis, you did well and could sell for 250% cost or 150% profit.

My uncle has been a serious medals collector since the 1960s, and has an incredibly huge collection. From what I have learned from him over the years regarding medals, it's all about the subject matter. If the subject (Israel) is popular then the value goes up. Benjamin Franklin is worth money, even on bakelite. So like PMAC says if they hold value in your eyes then you did really well. If not then try selling for $8 on eBay and see what happens.

I am not a medallist myself otherwise I'd PM an offer to B or T.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    They look like MACO

No, these are definitely state medals of the Israel Government Coins & Medals Corp. I have most of those pictured myself and am familiar with the series. The little logo on the envelopes at the upper right is that of the IGC&MC. Many of these have edge markings, in both hebrew and english sometimes including the logo of the corp and serial numbers. MACO stuff is very different and as you say is id'd by their edge mark.

The ones pictured are:
    (upper left) 30th anniversary of first jewish immigrant runners into the british mandate of palestine - 1964
    (upper right) I think the 3rd international bible contest, there are several years of these and need to see the other side to be sure - 1964
    Masada memorial (last stand of jewish revolt in AD 73)
    An international trade fair

These were originally sold for $4.50 in quantities under 10k generally (the Masada medal has a much greater mintage). I've bought the bronze from a couple bucks and up depending on the subject; most of the silver I bought several years ago at a very small premium to melt. Israeli stuff doesn't seem that popular, which is too bad since the workmanship and subject matter on many of these is outstanding.

If you plan to sell these, there are a couple I wouldn't mind having even in bronze including the S S Shalom (boats on each side), the Shavit medal showing a missle launch and the legend "science in the service of peace," and a few of the others.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    My great grandfather actually won the Internat'l Bible Contest once, so I pulled his medal and you're right it matches.

The $4.5 sale price was long enough ago, I would still try to get $8-10 on eBay and see if anyone bites.

I recognized the IGCMC logo and words across the bottom of each envelope, from coins in my own collection, but thought perhaps MACO minted on their behalf. I took another look at my MACO medals and the relief is much higher, you're right these do look different.

Here's a link to the ANA MACO issues in case anyone wants to see the ultra high relief I refer to...

Israeli coins are definitely undervalued. Although I recently sold PCGS-slabbed piedforts for 3x catalog value on eBay, they do not command many bids.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Nice collection there!

If you bought them for resale you will do alright. I suggest that next time you shill out that kind of cash on something that you aren't familiar with look it up on eBay on your smart phone.

I'm always looking coins up on my iPhone at shows,etc. nobody really cares, they just think your texting.

But being a college student I don't think they think twice lol