Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to combat sellers of counterfeits

2»

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the links

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    ive seen counterfeits listed on dealer websites, im quite certain the dealer was not aware the item was counterfeit, which begs the question, who is in charge of determining INTENT ? great idea i just dont believe it would work in this world without the website owner being sued into bankruptcy
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Glaring omissions from the majority here. You only discuss what would happen if you are right. You do not discuss the penalty if you are wrong. If you wrongly place someone on the list.

It is the same with the american court system. The DA can freely charge anyone with anything, using taxpayer funds to do it, and if they are wrong there is no consequence.

It is the same with the american banking system. Banking executives can take excessive risk, and earn large bonuses while doing so. And when their risk measurements are shown as faulty and they blow up, they bear no consequences. They keep the bonuses and the salaries, and it is other people that pay for their misuse of risk analysis.

So again, what is the penalty for putting someone on the list who should not be on it? Or do you guarantee 100% accuracy? If you do guarantee 100% accuracy, can you provide rigorous details as to how you will accomplish this?

Otherwise, we can quit this discussion.
    Positive BST Transactions: Nags
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the first step would be to contact the seller, notify them that they have a counterfeit and warn them they will be listed if they don't remove the sale, and promise not to try and sell it in the future.

The seller may go on a non-public watchlist and if they try and sell it again, they get listed. If they refuse to remove the sale they also get listed.

So again, what is the penalty for putting someone on the list who should not be on it?

If someone is on the list and wants to be off, they can petition the site master and just ask. Their past listing and circumstances would be evaluated.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    What would the monetary payment be to the wrongly listed individual? Perhaps his average daily sales times the number of days he was falsly on the list? Otherwise, wouldn't a sly dealer try to get his competitors on the list?
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would the monetary payment be to the wrongly listed individual? Perhaps his average daily sales times the number of days he was falsly on the list? Otherwise, wouldn't a sly dealer try to get his competitors on the list?

Would a sly dealer monitor his competition to get a seller of counterfeits on the list? I don't think it matters who finds the counterfeit seller.

Monetary payment for wrongly listed individual? How about just the wrong listing just gets removed.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>What would the monetary payment be to the wrongly listed individual? Perhaps his average daily sales times the number of days he was falsly on the list? Otherwise, wouldn't a sly dealer try to get his competitors on the list?

Would a sly dealer monitor his competition to get a seller of counterfeits on the list? I don't think it matters who finds the counterfeit seller.

Monetary payment for wrongly listed individual? How about just the wrong listing just gets removed. >>

You're right. Losing customers, losing good will, and losing sales for wrongfully being on the list does not deserve compensation. It is just a risk of the business. Please disregard my previous comments.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file