Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question for eBay sellers

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've never run into this one. Winning bidding has a Hong Kong registered location. I don't ship to China but I guess eBay doesn't know Hong Kong is part of China.

Buyer sends me a message wanting a total for the two coins and wants me to ship them to "John B. Public xxx W. xxth Street" (name and adress obviously changed). He doesn't include a City, State, or zipcode with the address.

Question, would you ship to a different address that's on his eBay account? I told him I would only ship to an address that is on the PayPal account if he pays by PayPal. I could just see him filing a PP charge back saying he never received the coins.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would only ship to verified/registered address.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go to a recent Croatian thread for tipsimageimage
  • Options
    I see everyone talking about not shipping to anything but confirmed addresses, but here's the problem -- 75% of the people that buy my items don't have them! I'd be running on empty if I only sold to confirmed addresses. I always ship to the PayPal address, but it generally is "unconfirmed".
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar situation where the buyer was from a country I don't ship to, but he was living in the US and provided a US address in PayPal. I have had several successful transactions with him, the only downside being the higher PP international fee rate because of how the account was originally set up.

I'd wait to see if the PP address is legitimate. If you are not comfortable you have the following options:
    1. Ship the coins and take your chances.
    2. Ship the coins and buy third party insurance like InsurePost.com. If the shipment is valued <= $250, you can send it without any signature confirmation. I had an international chargeback claim about a year ago and my insurance covered everything including all shipping costs. I have no idea if the buyer lied or actually never received the item, but it didn't matter at my end. One catch, this type of insurance doesn't cover shipments to many countries, so you have to check the list.
    3. Refund the payment and cancel the sale.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    It used to be that International addresses couldn't be confirmed, verified? in PayPal. Don't know if that's still true or not.

I really don't have too much a problem shipping the items to his Hong Kong address as long as he pays for the Registered Mail. He wants me to ship the items to a US address with a different name. I don't think so.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Registered mail doesn't protect you from chargebacks.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Registered mail doesn't protect you from chargebacks. >>

Technically, you are correct. But I've never had a chargeback with it. Since the item must be signed for and there is an online record of delivery, I feel safe with it. Maybe the answer is to only have US shipping. It may come to this.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Registered mail doesn't protect you from chargebacks. >>

Technically, you are correct. But I've never had a chargeback with it. Since the item must be signed for and there is an online record of delivery, I feel safe with it. Maybe the answer is to only have US shipping. It may come to this. >>

It shouldn't come to this. At least from a Darksider with whom I have exchanged over 500 parcels over the years. On the other hand, shipping to a US address with proof of delivery sounds much safer for you than shipping it to Hong Kong. He might have a friend or relative to whom he sends his parcels and with whom he later arranges to have them delivered in Hong Kong at cost. Sounds very familiar to me.

I could just see him filing a PP charge back saying he never received the coins.

I'd say take your chances and see where it gets you, otherwise second chance offers and relisting are always bad options.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the other hand, shipping to a US address with proof of delivery sounds much safer for you than shipping it to Hong Kong. >>

I agree with this. I've had this happen a number of times when a buyer in HK / China asked to ship to a US address. Being able to track the package every step of the way definitely gives you a certain level of comfort.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Granted the last time I sold anything on ebay was probably 4 years ago (or more) but if I remember right, Paypal will only back you up if you follow all of their rules (see the Croatian thread) about proof of delivery AND if you only use their registered mailing address.

Oddly enough last time I bought something in the 3 figures from a guy in CA he was really stressed about my FPO. He was convinced that there would be no tracking/signature guarantee etc, yet I track packages on line all the time and have to sign for stuff etc. He insisted on using a CONUS address, so I had him mail it to my mother's house and I kept thinking he'd get screwed if there was a claim. It all worked out but I didn't understand about using a non-ebay/paypal address.

If it were me, and depending on the values, I'd check his feedback and maybe ask for a reference. I too remember shipping to an alternative address--but everything was so low value I wasn't worried about the policies, but I was aware of them.

Cathy

• Options

<< <i>I agree with this. I've had this happen a number of times when a buyer in HK / China asked to ship to a US address. Being able to track the package every step of the way definitely gives you a certain level of comfort. >>

Buyer says he never received package. eBay/PP say is wasn't shipped to his address on file with eBay/PP. He does charge back. I'm out the coins and the money.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, we were cross-posting...that is exactly what I was getting at. I still did ship that way once or twice, but only because it was low value AND they had reasonable feedback.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with this. I've had this happen a number of times when a buyer in HK / China asked to ship to a US address. Being able to track the package every step of the way definitely gives you a certain level of comfort. >>

Buyer says he never received package. eBay/PP say is wasn't shipped to his address on file with eBay/PP. He does charge back. I'm out the coins and the money. >>

True, but the post system will accept your claim and if they cannot confirm delivery will pay out the insurance, unlike sending the package overseas.
  • Options
    In this case,

I would require payment by check or money order only if they want you to send to any address other than their confirmed PayPal address.
  • Options

<< <i>In this case,

I would require payment by check or money order only if they want you to send to any address other than their confirmed PayPal address. >>

Also a very sound approach.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    You don't ship to China just cancel the auction and move on. Save yourself alot of pain!
  • Options
    According to eBay, Hong Kong isn't China.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

<< <i>According to eBay, Hong Kong isn't China. >>

Of course NOT

We are Americans

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Love the map!!! Why do you not ship to China Ajaan?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Too many packages 'lost'.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Have you lost any to China and how long ago? I have shipped over 100 and only had one problem.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I "second" Dmitri's comment that it is very common, when selling to overseas eBayers, to ship to a friend or relative in the US. Later, that friend will combine all their packages into one freight and ship for minimal cost. Like Dmitri, I have never had a problem in these situations. I think you are fine to proceed I would not be concerned.

I will simply add that I have bought many things from China, in addition to Japan, Australia and various other countries (including Eastern Europe and Russia) and had very, very few problems if none at all.

I believe the key is using a discriminating eye when browsing eBay listings. Trust your gut instincts. If it looks too good to be true, it likely is false. Also, read the feedback ratings. I have found a couple dealers in China who carry outstanding products and have great customer service, and their feedback reflects such. Not everyone leaves feedback. It's not automatic. If a seller - or buyer - has tons of positive ratings, and comments, they're probably OK.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE