Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did anyone here win the Mel Wacks counterstamped Penny on the bay last night?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
With $22 at 10 seconds left, I thought my $50 bid would take it.... WRONG

auction link.

Edited to add: I put my bid in at 10 seconds, there was so many snipers, it didn't even show up on the bid list.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for convenience

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't appear to be any kind of official commemorative, just stamped by some random private company. I would say not getting it for $50 makes you a winner.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It doesn't appear to be any kind of official commemorative, just stamped by some random private company. I would say not getting it for $50 makes you a winner. >>

i thought the mel pieces were highly sought after?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>It doesn't appear to be any kind of official commemorative, just stamped by some random private company. I would say not getting it for $50 makes you a winner. >>

B B But ...it's got a hand signed COA image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

i thought the mel pieces were highly sought after? >>

He is in certain circles so I wouldn't say this is made by "some random private company."

Some signatures are worth more than others image

Good bidding - 5 bids to $107.52 starting at $9.95.
  • Options
    PonyPullerPonyPuller Posts: 134 ✭✭
    I didn't win it, but I did put in a bid for it. I've been slowly working on a set of his counterstamped coins for some time, and this was the 1st time I've ever seen this one.

- Mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

i thought the mel pieces were highly sought after? >>

He is in certain circles so I wouldn't say this is made by "some random private company."

Some signatures are worth more than others image

Good bidding - 5 bids to $107.52 starting at $9.95. >>

It's not a Royal Mint product , it's not even a British made product.It's an otherwise worthless 1967 penny with a made up stamp and nothing whatsoever to do with any visit.Ebay is full of these , i got an End the Fed / Ron Paul 2012 Jefferson that's die pressed on both sides for under 10 bucks.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, not here. theres no real interest in finding one either.
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay is full of these >>

I count 0 (zero) Mel Wacks pieces currently.

I can see how you might not value these if you discount what makes them unique and collectable to others.
  • Options
    I was too busy watching another bay auction for an Indian Head NGC Proof64 RED. It went way over the maximum bid I had in mind.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ebay is full of these >>

I count 0 (zero) Mel Wacks pieces currently.

I can see how you might not value these if you discount what makes them unique and collectable to others. >>

Ebay is full of made up counterstamps is what i'm saying. Id put a little more stock in Mel if he could at least get it right.1982 was the popes UK visit , not just England , he was in Scotland and Wales and England.Its an excellent way to get shot of worthless coins is all it is.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in 2006 and 2007 I picked up three of Mel's Camp David Peace Dollars for $40 to $60 a piece.
    The last one to show up on Ebay went for $245
    There are people who collect his counterstamps and willing to pay for them.

Mercury
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options

<< <i>Back in 2006 and 2007 I picked up three of Mel's Camp David Peace Dollars for $40 to $60 a piece.

Mercury >>

You at least got the silver value , i guess PT Barnum was right after all.
  • Options

<< <i>Id put a little more stock in Mel if he could at least get it right.1982 was the popes UK visit , not just England , he was in Scotland and Wales and England. >>

Mel did get it right when he wrote it was the Pope's visit to Great Britain which is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales.

Saying the UK doesn't add anything because the Pope did not visit Northern Ireland, the "UK" being the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

Did your opinion of Mel just go up? image
  • Options

<< <i>Back in 2006 and 2007 I picked up three of Mel's Camp David Peace Dollars for $40 to $60 a piece.

Mercury >>

Nice ROI on those. It's good to be ahead of the curve image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Id put a little more stock in Mel if he could at least get it right.1982 was the popes UK visit , not just England , he was in Scotland and Wales and England. >>

Mel did get it right when he wrote it was the Pope's visit to Great Britain which is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales.

Saying the UK doesn't add anything because the Pope did not visit Northern Ireland, the "UK" being the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

Did your opinion of Mel just go up? image >>

Depends how i look at it , it is pretty high when considered as a poor mans Daniel Carr , anyone that can get that kind of money for an old penny is pretty clever.The stamp doesnt say a visit to Gt Britain does it ? Everyone to their own , id congratulate him on finding a niche in the easy money game.
  • Options

<< <i>The stamp doesnt say a visit to Gt Britain does it ? >>

The COA says Great Britain, but I'm ok either way. As for what is on the stamp, the Pope did visit England so it is true. Using this approach, he could have separate stamps for Scotland and Wales image

In any event, he's not claiming these are anything other than what they are. If people find them collectible, so be it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The stamp doesnt say a visit to Gt Britain does it ? >>

The COA says Great Britain, but I'm ok either way. As for what is on the stamp, the Pope did visit England so it is true. Using this approach, he could have separate stamps for Scotland and Wales image

In any event, he's not claiming these are anything other than what they are. If people find them collectible, so be it. >>

What's amusing , other than the COA , is the thought of how many of the buyers are actually in the UK ? I'd hazard a guess....none. It's a play on peoples religious beliefs ..oh...it's got the pope on it...gotta bid , what if he put Roger Rabbit on one ? The outlay for a stamp like that is going to be costly and still amatuerish looking.750 x 100 bucks is not bad going if he gets it.Money for old rope.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    If you folks do not know or are not familiar with Mel Wacks work, you really should minimize your dissing since there are quite a few folks on these forums which actively seek out Mel's counter struck coins. We do, Collect what we Like and are always looking for a "different challenge" and these are definitely "different" and "challenging".

This particular piece is rather interesting in that it simply does not show up that often. I can fully understand the bidding for this coin and if it had shown up in my searches, it may have gone for a bit more. There are quite a few more which rarely show up and I guess similar premiums could be expected. (Unless DNADave and I can come to some type of agreement! image )

Mel began counterstamping coins in 1976 with the 1st one being a commemoration of the Viking I landing on Mars. The conterstamp was put onto an IKE Dollar. These sold out rather quickly so Mel began commemorating other world events with similar counterstamps.

My list from the catalog is as follows:

1. “VIKING I ON MARS JULY 20, 1976”

2. Turkey (Thanksgiving 1976) On a 1961 Proof Franklin Half

3. “CAMP DAVID PEACE SUMMIT SEPT. 5-17, 1978” On a Peace Dollar
    There may be some experimental pieces floating around since the first attempt at creating a counterstamp with Ed McClung was unsuccessful. Adam Cool was able to create the piece above.

4. “INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF THE CHILD 1979” Struck on an IKE Dollar

5. “POPE JOHN PAUL II VISITS MEXICO JAN. 26-31, 1979” There were problems with Counterstamping this coin which produced a lot of split planchet errors.

6. POPE JOHN PAUL II VISITS MEXICO JAN. 26-31, 1979”

7. Two Versions of the above PaPal Visit to Mexico coin exists with the second version only being offered to European Dealers. (Need)

8. MW8 “BICENTALER 1780-1980” (Need) Counter Struck on a Maria Theresa Taler Restrike

9. MW9 “CITIUS ALTIUS FORTIUS/1980 MOSCOW GAMES” Counterstruck on an IKE Dollar

10. MW10 “FASTER ● HIGHER ● STRONGER LAKE PLACID ● FEB. 13-24, 1980” Counter Struck on an IKE Dollar

11. MW11 “1980 GOLD MEDAL WINNERS ● USA HOCKEY TEAM” Counter Struck on an IKE Dollar (Need)

12. MW12 “RONALD W. REAGAN INAUGURATED 40TH PRESIDENT JANUARY 20, 1981” Counter Struck on an IKE Dollar
    Since there are quite a few Eisenhower Varieties out there, I'm always on the lookout for one of those varieties which was used as the parent coin for this counterstrike.

13. MW13 “FREEDOM FOR THE 52 AMERICAN HOSTAGES JANUARY 20, 1981” Counter Struck on an IKE Dollar

14. MW14 “PRINCE CHARLES & LADY DIANA 7•29 1981” Counter struck on a 1964 Canadian Dollar.

15. MW15 “SANDRA DAY O’CONNOR EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW 1981” (Need)

16. MW16 “POPE JOHN PAUL II VISITS ENGLAND 1982” (The Subject of this Thread) (Need)

17. MW17 “GEORGE WASHINGTON FEB. 22, 1732-1982” Counter Struck on an IKE Dollar

18. MW18 “LOS ANGELES GAMES ● SUMMER 1984” (Olympic Runners)

19. MW19 “1984 LOS ANGELES ● SUMMER GAMES” (Olympic Weightlifter) Counter Struck on an IKE Dollar (Need)

20. MW20 “LOS ANGELES SUMMER GAMES XXIII ● ‘84” (Olympic Flame) Counter Struck on a 1976 Kennedy Half Dollar (Need)

21. MW21 “HARRY S. TRUMAN CENTENNIAL MAY 8, 1884 ● 1984” Counter Struck on an IKE Dollar (Need)

DNADave has quite a few pieces in his collections which are pictured in this thread.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Some real nice coins there ruined forever. One last question though as its far to nice out to be indoors , what makes the 67 penny in the OP a "Papal penny" ? It's taking a bit of a liberty there isnt it playing fast and loose with the term.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Depends how i look at it , it is pretty high when considered as a poor mans Daniel Carr , anyone that can get that kind of money for an old penny is pretty clever.The stamp doesnt say a visit to Gt Britain does it ? Everyone to their own , id congratulate him on finding a niche in the easy money game. >>

You have no idea what you're talking about now do you? You're just blowing smoke over something of which you have no historical or collective experience.

Mel does not currently sell these. These were all sold to dealers and the general public more than 25 years ago during the year of the event which was commemorated and many folks do actively collect them. Many folks like them and many folks don't really care what the costs are associated with them since each coin is no longer available with limited mintages. Mel is a stand up guy who has been active in Numismatics for a very long time. He's currently the President of the American Israel Numismatic Association and comes with a long list of Numismatic Credentials.

Google the man before you begin dissing his activities within numismatics JamesMurray.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Depends how i look at it , it is pretty high when considered as a poor mans Daniel Carr , anyone that can get that kind of money for an old penny is pretty clever.The stamp doesnt say a visit to Gt Britain does it ? Everyone to their own , id congratulate him on finding a niche in the easy money game. >>

You have no idea what you're talking about now do you? You're just blowing smoke over something of which you have no historical or collective experience.

Mel does not currently sell these. These were all sold to dealers and the general public more than 25 years ago during the year of the event which was commemorated and many folks do actively collect them. Many folks like them and many folks don't really care what the costs are associated with them since each coin is no longer available with limited mintages. Mel is a stand up guy who has been active in Numismatics for a very long time. He's currently the President of the American Israel Numismatic Association and comes with a long list of Numismatic Credentials.

Google the man before you begin dissing his activities within numismatics JamesMurray. >>

Ive zero interest in a man that trashes World and US coins to make profit , why is it or what makes it a Papal penny as described ? Because some guy in Illinois says so ? Snakes , oil , and salesmen come to mind.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Google the man before you begin dissing his activities within numismatics JamesMurray. >>

Ive zero interest in a man that trashes World and US coins to make profit , why is it or what makes it a Papal penny as described ? Because some guy in Illinois says so ? Snakes , oil , and salesmen come to mind. >>

Why bother posting to the thread then? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Because i'd like to know what makes it a Papal penny. A simple "it's not" will suffice.
  • Options

<< <i>Because i'd like to know what makes it a Papal penny. A simple "it's not" will suffice. >>

It's a Mel Wacks PaPal Penny that was counterstruck to commemorate the Pope's visit to England. Mel Wacks created it and sold it as such. It's as much a PaPal Penny as the Mel Wacks Freedom Dollar is a Freedom Dollar.

Thats the simple truth.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Because i'd like to know what makes it a Papal penny. A simple "it's not" will suffice. >>

It's a Mel Wacks PaPal Penny that was counterstruck to commemorate the Pope's visit to England. Mel Wacks created it and sold it as such. It's as much a PaPal Penny as the Mel Wacks Freedom Dollar is a Freedom Dollar.

Thats the simple truth. >>

A Paypal penny , yes , Papal...not so much.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the counterstamps - I had no idea they existed. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Nice collection 19Lyds. Looks like you're 2/3s of the way to a complete collection!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice collection 19Lyds. Looks like you're 2/3s of the way to a complete collection! >>

This is a hard set to put together (too advanced for some to understand?)

Here's where I'm at....you can see 19 and I have a lot of the same ones were looking for. I thought I'd post them just to show some more ruined coins...image

Camp David Peace Summit Prototype Peace Dollar

Camp David Peace Summit 1922 Peace Dollar

1979 Pope John Paul II Visits Mexico 1965 Peso

1981 Reagan Inauguration 1976-S Silver Ike

1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics 1971-S Proof Siver Ike

1980 USA Hockey

1979 Year of the Child

Charles and Di Wedding

George Washington 250

Statue of Lib. Double Golden Anniv. Eisenhower
    (Not Mel Wacks image )

Statue of Lib. Double Golden Anniv. Kennedy Half
    (Not Mel Wacks image )

1984 Harry Truman Centennial on 1971-S Ike

International Association Of Professional Numismatists 1980 - Stamped on a 1776-1976 p Eisenhower

1981 Freedom Dollar; 1971-s proof Ike - 444 pieces
    image :
    Others?
    Please let me know what you have to sell.

• Options
    These two popped up on my Radar and there was no hesitation on my part.

While both coins literally take a "beating" the Kennedy Half didn't seem to fair very well since it's definitely out of round and distorted. I wonder if this is typical for the smaller coins? image

Oh yeah. Forgot to add. Each came with its own COA. image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    It's nice seeing all of the interest in my counterstamped coins. If anyone didn't get the catalog that I published in the March-April 2011 TAMS Journal, I will be putting it up on www.amuseum.org soon. If anyone has questions I will try to answer them. Happy collecting! Mel Wacks
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one, have seen the Camp David Peace dollars go for moon money. There is a lot of interest in those. Far from detracting, I rather like them myself. The coins they are overstruck on are fairly low value anyway and it just makes an interesting collectable.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
  • Options
    It's fun to see discussions about my counterstamped coins. You can see a catalog of all of them at http://www.amuseum.org/jahf/wacks-counterstamps.html. Happy collecting, Mel Wacks
  • Options

<< <i>I for one, have seen the Camp David Peace dollars go for moon money. There is a lot of interest in those. Far from detracting, I rather like them myself. The coins they are overstruck on are fairly low value anyway and it just makes an interesting collectable. >>

I bought one from a local B&M store a few years ago before the run up in silver.
    It's a BU 1922 dollar, came in a holder and only cost me $20.
    I'll have to dig that out next time I'm at the SBD and take pictures.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With $22 at 10 seconds left, I thought my $50 bid would take it.... WRONG

auction link.

Edited to add: I put my bid in at 10 seconds, there was so many snipers, it didn't even show up on the bid list. >>

One of these sold on ebay for >$600 on 8/18/2008.

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link to the catalog Mel! I know of at least one issue that the counterstamp applied to the silver and clad versions of a coin.

Here is an image of MW15 “SANDRA DAY O’CONNOR EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW 1981”:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file