Home Metal Detecting

July 21, 2012: Silver Coat Button? Your input needed.

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Was back in New Jersey visiting family for the past few days and was able to get out with member NeilinWestJersey and his buddy Ben. We ended in an older area where I picked up an older looking Navy button. Any ideas on age?

A bit into the hunt, Ben pulls out a large cent! Couldn't get much details then and there, so I'll have to check what it ended up being. A few minutes later I got a 12-47 on the e-trac at about 5-6 inches. This is usually a quarter signal. Was excited it could have been a large cent, but it was quite a surprise to see something silver come out of the hole. Does anyone have any idea what it went to, or what its age could be? Looks hand-engraved. Was thinking it's maybe a coat button. Weight is 5.5 grams. Although I haven't tested it, I'm 99% certain it's silver. No hallmarks or makings of any sort. Pretty cool though.

Thanks for looking!

Here's a video of the piece (at home, not being dug): Youtube Video

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone thought I could be a lapel stud. Maybe late 1800s early 1900s. Was hoping it would be older
  • While the silver button is very cool I like the Navy button better! How many points on the stars? Is the border a rope? Are the fields behind the eagle flat or small ridges running across?
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage

<< <i>While the silver button is very cool I like the Navy button better! How many points on the stars? Is the border a rope? Are the fields behind the eagle flat or small ridges running across? >>

Thanks!
    Alright, let's see here! I was hoping this thing would clean up better. The stars are mostly blobs at this point, but I think they have 5 points. The fields behind the eagle have small ridges running across (they're faint and don't show up in the pics). In terms of the border, do you mean the outer-most part? It kind of looks like "reeding", so maybe that could be a rope?

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you need any other info and I'll do my best to help you out! Would you also like a pic of the back?
  • Does the back say Kendrick and Co. ?
    imageimage
    I'll keep trying to clean it, but right now I can't make out any of the lettering, but I can see some outlines. Here's a pic of the back. Can you make anything of it?

• Though we can't make out the details on the reverse, it's pretty safe to say it is a match with the one listed in the online button book on the Treasure Depot website. NA-095 United States Navy from the 1830's. Two piece convex brass, 13mm. If you look at the early naval buttons, very few have the eagles right wing almost touching the anchor. That along with the lined fields, 13 five pointed stars and rope outer border I' d say we have a match!
    Very nice early button!

edited to add. If found in proximity of the silver button at a similar depth, along with the date of the large cent and if you know any history of the site. It could put the silver one to an early date as well. Looks Victorian era so it could date to the late 1830's or 40's.
    imageimage
    Thank you so muh for researching the button! I just measured the button and from end to end it is about 7/8" or about 22 mm. Would that affect things?

• << <i>Thank you so muh for researching the button! I just measured the button and from end to end it is about 7/8" or about 22 mm. Would that affect things? >>

You probably have one of the coat buttons and the one I showed you is a cuff button, hence the smaller size.
    imageimage