Home Sports Talk
Options

Big Time NCAA Football/Hoops Programs - any truly clean?

larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
I am not suggesting other programs have done the cover up that Penn State did. However, when I look back over my lifetime (late 60's through today) are there any big time college football or basketball programs that have not broken the rules drastically during that time?

I am a UCLA fan and I know Wooden broke the rules in hoops and I imagine Donahue did in football... just not very well.

I think things are getting cleaner today but does anybody honestly think ANY powerhouse team of the 70's, 80's or 90's didn't cheat in some significant ways?

Do you think YOUR team cheated?

If anybody honestly thinks their school didn't cheat I would really be interested.

I am talking "big time" schools.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    IMO ... Big time school ... Small time school ... Big time sport ... Small time sport ... most ALL of them have done SOMETHING against the NCAA/NJCAA Rules.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I think things are getting cleaner today>>>

I would argue that college sports are dirtier than ever today....they've just gotten a lot better at covering it up.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to play a hunch on the next big time program getting smacked across the nose with recruiting violations it would be Kansas BB. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Then there are schools like Miami, Penn State, SEC schools that let football and/or basketball pretty much be the end all from an institutional standpoint. >>

Nice job randomly inserting "SEC" into this argument. Keep on hating...we'll keep on winning.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Then there are schools like Miami, Penn State, SEC schools that let football and/or basketball pretty much be the end all from an institutional standpoint. >>

Nice job randomly inserting "SEC" into this argument. Keep on hating...we'll keep on winning. >>

I would hope there is no SEC fan that honestly thinks any SEC team (save Vandy) are honest!? I didn't even mention SEC as I think everybody assumes they cheat more than anybody. Curious what SEC fans thoughts are on that proposition?
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The SEC is where most all the top players already want to play. SEC schools don't need to entice players to go there....its the destination conference. Now when a speedy Wide Receiver from Florida or Louisiana ends up at Purdue........that raises questions.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The SEC is where most all the top players already want to play. SEC schools don't need to entice players to go there....its the destination conference. Now when a speedy Wide Receiver from Florida or Louisiana ends up at Purdue........that raises questions. >>

I gotta agree with this.

In my opinion all schools are guilty of SOMETHING just like ourselves or anything in life, people lie all the time, ofcourse they might not hurt anyone and in most cases these schools are not doing anything really bad but are against some rules. This question about any schools being clean is pale in comparison to the Penn State scandal, Im not suggesting you are making assumptions that child abuse happens in other schools but im 100% positive down the line something of this nature has happened before but probably on a much smaller scale.
  • Options
    Alabama is guilty of being a pipeline to the NFL via the first round of the draft. I can't imagine why a five star athelete would want to go there. I mean, the hassle of trying to figure out which fingers to wear your championship rings on, trying to find ways of spending millions after being a first round draft pick, and deciding which southern belle dressed in her favorite little strappy sundress on to bang.

Save yourself all those hard choices. Attend a Big Ten school and you will not have to worry about these things
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SEC schools are under intense pressure just to compete/survive within their own league. I'm sure recruiting is all done on the up and up. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I always heard that Paterno ran a clean program at Penn State. On a more serious note, I think Bobby Knight stayed within the rules, and he made sure his players went to class. Does being an a**hole count against you?
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Alabama is guilty of being a pipeline to the NFL via the first round of the draft. I can't imagine why a five star athelete would want to go there. I mean, the hassle of trying to figure out which fingers to wear your championship rings on, trying to find ways of spending millions after being a first round draft pick, and deciding which southern belle dressed in her favorite little strappy sundress on to bang.

Save yourself all those hard choices. Attend a Big Ten school and you will not have to worry about these things >>

How many times has Alabama been on probation in the last 20 years? How many scholarships did they lose?
  • Options
    I don't think anybody seriously thinks any SEC team runs a clean program. I am just ignoring that issue. I think the questions start to rise at second tier programs like most of the Pac 12 and many others. That is, if they are cheating they aren't doing a very good job of it. Then you have your holy rollers, like ND and BYU, they wouldn't cheat would they!?
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be nice for the students if some of these schools put as much emphasis/energy/resources into their primary mission of education as they do into their athletic programs?
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."