Home Sports Talk
Options

How did they get HOF votes?

I was looking at some stats and I noticed a player had gotten 1% of the vote one year for the HOF. What was strange about it, was that this was a .254 hitter with 1,000 hits. How did this guy get votes? So here are a few of my strange votes:

1966: Bob Porterfield got a vote. He was 87-97 lifetime with a 3.79 ERA and 8 saves. Huh?
1953: Dave Robertson got a vote. He had 812 lifetime hits and a .287 average. He did lead the NL in HR's twice in the dead ball era, but with a lifetime total of 47 HR's, I doubt he was HOF material.
1953: Hub Pruett got a vote. He was 29-48 with a 4.63 lifetime ERA.
1958: Jumbo Elliott 63-74 with a 4.24 ERA.

And there are quite a few more. I've noticed that over the last 25 years or so, the guys at the bottom of the list were at least of all-star calibre at some point during their careers, but some of the earlier votes are just laughable. Anyone see any worse?
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone takes this stuff as seriously as we do.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set