Home Sports Talk
Options

Who would you select

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
as the greatest Heisman Trophy Winner?

I will post my choice at some point. However, I will give a clue as to my choice- This winner went to a Big Ten School

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Tough call...especially since we're trying to compare positions against one another. RB and QB have dominated the Heisman for quite some time, so I'd likely limit my choice to one of those two positions.

At RB, the greatest Heisman winners (single season and their college careers) in order IMO are '88 Barry Sanders and '82 Herschel Walker.
    At QB, I'll go with '96 Danny Weurffel and '04 Matt Leinart.
    Biggest Heisman robbery of all time: When Charles Woodson won instead of Peyton Manning.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has to be archie griffin. He has twice as many as anyone else. He won his second in spite of jim lampleys year long campaign to give it to chuck Muncie. At qb who else but troy smith. Brutus is in complete agreement with me.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It pains me to say. Archie Griffin.

<<Biggest Heisman robbery of all time: When Charles Woodson won instead of Peyton Manning>>

Manning's meltdown in 1996 vs Florida cost him. I saw every Michigan play that season and I saw Woodson stand out as the best player on the field (both sides of the ball) every single game. He personally destroyed Penn St at Happy Valley when PSU was #1 and Michigan #2. Michigan won 35-8 at that started the Heisman talk. He had 152 more first place votes then Manning. It wasn't really that close.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Trent Richardson
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Archie Griffin, no question.
  • Options
    O.J. Simpson won by the largest margin.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My choice would be Nile Kinnick- Iowa's only Heisman winner

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Doak Walker did it all. At Southern Methodist University, he was a running back, defensive back and kicker. The award for college football’s best running back is named in his honor. Though only 5 ft. 11 in. and 173 lb., Walker started for the Detroit Lions in the NFL and made the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986

Honorary mention......Herschel Walker, Archie Griffin, Roger Staubach, and Ernie Davis.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Archie Griffin? Are you serious? He was a serviceable running back who was a product of the system in which he played. Note that modern players do not stick around long enough to win it twice. Could Cam Newton have won it twice? We'll never know. Tebow was a greater college player than Griffin. So was Earl Campbell, O.J. Simpson (hosed by Gary effing Beban one year), and a host of others.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Archie Griffin? Are you serious? He was a serviceable running back who was a product of the system in which he played. >>

I think that could very well be said of Matt Leinart as well, albeit from the QB position. >>

I agree, but no one is suggesting that he was the greatest.